Skip to main content

... of a rest

Lately, Abram has been sleeping for about 10-11 hours at night. From about 8-7. Then he seems to be ready for a nap around 10. He's been taking a 1.5 - 2 hour morning nap. Common sense would say that if he could only make it 3 hours in the morning after having a full night of sleep, he would definitely need an afternoon nap still, right?

Every day I lay him down around 4/4:30. He stays in his room until 5:30. If he's not asleep by then, I get him out. Around 50% of the time, he falls asleep within 30 minutes or so. About 20% of the time, he falls asleep right before 5:30. And about 30% of the time, he plays in his crib until 5:15ish, then lays down really still for 5-10 minutes making me think that he's asleep, only to bolt up and start playing again right around 5:30.

I don't usually care whether he actually falls asleep. He's content in his crib, he doesn't cry, and even if he doesn't sleep, it helps him last through the rest of the evening. I don't think he's going to fall asleep today. It's 5:27 and he's laying down but kicking his feet and rolling and stuff. But we had a very full afternoon , I am very tired and I really want him to fall asleep.

We went to Chili's for lunch where he ate like a champ.


Then we went grocery shopping and he was very well behaved. We got home and forgot about the groceries in the back of the car. Woops. Instead, I drug the pack n play out to the drive way and we watched airplanes fly over our house (we live pretty near the airport) and I aired up the tires and reattached the seat covers I had washed on a double jogging stroller my dad bought for us at a neighborhood garage sale when he was here for $10 (sorry long sentence). It's an older Baby Trend with a stationary front wheel and just fabric seats, but they "recline" and it's actually not that heavy. Then we took it for a walk, which gave me a really good arm work out as well, because those things actually are made for jogging. And not just for jogging, but jogging in a fairly straight line. So turning while walking meant a lot of wheely popping.



But it was a really nice, warm, overcast day and Abram enjoyed himself. He asked for a leaf on the ground before we left and then held onto it by the stem really gently all the way on the walk and into the house. I finally made him set it down in his room where I assured him that he would see it when he got up from his "nap", but he cried a little any way.

That was pretty much our day. There was book reading and playing this morning before the nap

(my FEBphotoaday "words" picture)

And some reading of the Word and songwriting for me during his nap. I folded four loads of laundry during this afternoon rest and am going to start dinner to have ready for Quinn because I gathered that he didn't eat lunch today. Silly husband. Yesterday, he had a bunch of Slim Jim's for lunch. I don't know which is worse.

Well, the purpose of this post was really for me to kill a few minutes before I went to get Abram up from his rest, since he wasn't falling asleep. Today seems to be a 20% day. He fell asleep right at 5:30 :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of