Skip to main content

...of no sleep

It's 5:30am. Let me do a quick recap of our day today:

8:00am - Abram, Quinn and I wake up
9:00am - Selah wakes up
10:00am - leave for Dubai with Quinn's dad and his suitcase
11:30-7:30 - Do lots of walking around malls in Dubai, looking at stuff, no one sleeping even one wink of a nap, changing blowout poopy diapers with freshly purchased diapers because I have my child's regular pooping figured out, but did not plan for anything out of the ordinary, heave myself into car with frequent, strong, and regular Braxton Hicks contractions wondering if we will be taking a trip to the hospital after the airport. 
7:30-8:30 - Stuck in Dubai traffic, Abram falls asleep, Selah squealing and crying because she is so over tired, mcontractions slowing down. 
8:30 - Drop Quinn's dad off at airport 3.5 hours early for his flight (poor guy).
8:30-10:30 - Drive home.
9:00 - Selah finally falls asleep.  
10:30 - Seamlessly transfer sleeping kids into bed.
11:00 - Fall asleep. 
1:30 - Woken up by Selah talking (that's 4.5 hours of sleep for her and 3 for me - in case you're counting)
2:30 - Quinn brings her into our room to discipline her for not being quiet like she knows she needs to be, only to discover another blowout diaper. Change her, put her back down. Now I definitely am so awake I can't easily fall back to sleep.
3:30 - Selah punished for more noise. 
3:45 - Selah falls asleep. 
3:45-5:30 - I lay in bed trying to fall asleep, but Simon is spazzing out in my abdomen and my brain is spazzing out in my head and I just can't. 
5:30 - I decide to write a blog post and listen to the sounds of at least one of our three newm interns who arrived this week from all over the West up and about and hope that they will start to adjust to their new time zone quickly. 
5:50 - Decide to give sleep another go (knowing I would only get another 2 hours or so) just as Quinn's alarm starts to go off for the morning (meaning it will be going on an off for at least the next hour). 

Looks like tomorrow is going to be a looong day. 

Here are aome picks from our outing in Dubai today, in case you didn't seem them on Facebook. 



Hope you slept/sleep better than we did tonight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was ...

...of big changes

Let's start with a cute picture of Abram and Selah in Spain: Adorbs. Now... I posted earlier today while I was waiting to see a rheumatologist in Dubai. I had been referred by the ortho doctor I had seen in Fujairah on multiple occasions over the last few months for my finger and back problems. My sister is a dermatologist and knows that I have had psoriasis for years and she also thought I needed to see a rheumatologist.  Just in case you aren't aware, psoriasis is basically an itchy skin condition. Basically. But there's actually more to it than that (which I wasn't even aware of until very recently.) It is a chronic auto immune problem. My body's immune system (for some undetermined reason) attacks healthy skin cells and it results in itchy patches of skin. Pretty awesome, right? In about 20% of people with skin psoriasis, the immune system will also start attacking the joints, which is why I found myself in a very nice rheumatologist's...

...of the same, but different

When we came back to Austin from the UAE and Quinn started back at his old job and we went right back to the same church and are even a few months away from moving back into our old house, we struggled with feeling like the previous two and half years just didn't happen. Sure, we had another child, but it all felt the same as it had. Except that our hearts were completely different. God had pulled us out of our former comfort zone and opened our hearts and eyes to a people who desperately needed His love. So when we came back, we were like different people in the same life. Even though those two years were less than we had planned and the memory of them gets further and further away, He still used them to shape and transform us in ways we never could have imagined. It was like we had entered some kind of time warp where everything was the same and different all at once. Then, just a few weeks ago, when we discovered that our fourth baby, Joanna Lynn, had Down syndrome, everyth...