Skip to main content

... of some real words!

Abram has been saying Mama and Dada for awhile now. Sometimes he messes with us and when we say "Say Dada" or "Say Mama" he will look right at us, smile, and say the opposite. I know that he knows what he's doing. At least he seems to have an inherent sense of humor.

I just wanted to document the fact that his first word, besides our names, was "banana". Now, it doesn't sound exactly like "banana" all of the time. The first time was actually the best. Now it's degraded into "nana" or "manan". But he definitely knows what it is and he loves them. Apparently he saw a banana peel in the nursery at church with the girls last night and he pointed and said "banana". He's usually the only kid at the 7:00 service with at least 3 female nursery workers. The girls were so excited when I came in to pick him up. He loves it... and they love him. It makes me happy. Anyway, they didn't know if he's ever said it before, so they were very eager to tell me.

He is also now saying "yeah". It's pretty cute. I'm glad he didn't learn "no" first, although he does know how to shake his head, but not nod his head. Hmmm... So today, he went number two (if you are ever around him when he goes, you'd be sure that's what he was doing, too) and I asked him if he needed to go to the potty. He said "jah" and headed back to the bathroom. Too bad he was already done going poop. I think we are taking pretty good steps toward going to the potty before he actually goes in his diaper.

So those are the Abram developments. I've heard that when babies/kids are learning something new, other developments will be put on hold. So maybe the talking is taking a front seat to the walking. Although, today we've been walking a lot and he's not really using my hands to balance, he just doesn't want to let go. I think he's close, so we'll see.

This weekend my sister, brother in law, and dog nephew came and spend the night on Saturday. Fenway was in a bird hunting competition. He'd never done anything like it before and he ended up "qualifying" the second day! I don't really know what that means, but he got a ribbon, so that's cool. He and Eric were pretty pooped after the first day and just passed out on our floor.


This past week we've done some pretty fun stuff. I made homemade pizza (one of our favorites) with spinach, ground turkey, and tomatoes. Abram was a fan and ate as many pieces as I did (one and half)!

He and Quinn went on a bundled up walk with socks on hands and hat I made him when he was born that was too big then and too small now. Guess a new hat is in order.


We only have a few weeks until Christmas and we are trying to be minimal with them. I'm hoping to make a lot of them, but I may run out of time and then I don't know what I'll do. So I guess I better get started.

Until next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was ...

...of big changes

Let's start with a cute picture of Abram and Selah in Spain: Adorbs. Now... I posted earlier today while I was waiting to see a rheumatologist in Dubai. I had been referred by the ortho doctor I had seen in Fujairah on multiple occasions over the last few months for my finger and back problems. My sister is a dermatologist and knows that I have had psoriasis for years and she also thought I needed to see a rheumatologist.  Just in case you aren't aware, psoriasis is basically an itchy skin condition. Basically. But there's actually more to it than that (which I wasn't even aware of until very recently.) It is a chronic auto immune problem. My body's immune system (for some undetermined reason) attacks healthy skin cells and it results in itchy patches of skin. Pretty awesome, right? In about 20% of people with skin psoriasis, the immune system will also start attacking the joints, which is why I found myself in a very nice rheumatologist's...

...of the same, but different

When we came back to Austin from the UAE and Quinn started back at his old job and we went right back to the same church and are even a few months away from moving back into our old house, we struggled with feeling like the previous two and half years just didn't happen. Sure, we had another child, but it all felt the same as it had. Except that our hearts were completely different. God had pulled us out of our former comfort zone and opened our hearts and eyes to a people who desperately needed His love. So when we came back, we were like different people in the same life. Even though those two years were less than we had planned and the memory of them gets further and further away, He still used them to shape and transform us in ways we never could have imagined. It was like we had entered some kind of time warp where everything was the same and different all at once. Then, just a few weeks ago, when we discovered that our fourth baby, Joanna Lynn, had Down syndrome, everyth...