Skip to main content

...of labor?

So many question marks in these recent post titles! I attribute it to the usual uncertainty of having a baby.

I hesitate to write this post, because I could, essentially, be crying wolf. But because this blog is meant to: 1) help me remember major events in my life and my family's lives, 2) keep distant family members in the loop about major events in my life and my family's lives, and 3) give me something to do when I am bored, it seems like something that should be written about at this time. So, I believe that I am in the early stage of labor and have been for about 16 hours now.

I've been getting Braxton Hicks contractions for forever and I get them pretty frequently, but last night I started having more painful and stronger contractions about every 4 minutes for about an hour and a half right when we got home from our night out.

Picture - as promised.

They weren't "floor me" painful, but they were "stop me in my tracks" painful. Quinn packed a bag for the hospital, just in case, while I switched positions and drank water to see if they would go away. They didn't. After that hour and a half, I called the emergency line at my doctor's office. Another doctor was on call and when I talked to her about it she said that since I hadn't been dilated at all at my last appointment and the contractions weren't super obviously labor, that I may need to "contract awhile at home" before actually needing to come in.

I should mention Quinn had fallen asleep at this point... I woke him up, updated him, and let him go back to sleep while I endured contractions that were getting progressively farther apart, actually, and not quite as uncomfortable (a sign of "early", "false", or "prodromal" labor.)

The night before last I had been woken up by a very wiggly baby and only gotten two two hour chunks of sleep. Then last night, I didn't fall asleep at all until 5am and woke up at 8am. So, needless to say, I am extremely tired. My midwife friend called me this morning after I emailed her a long, ranty, sleepy email somewhere around 4am (thanks Katie) and she reassured me that everything would be fine, I just needed to wait it out and try to get some sleep. Quinn took very good care of Abram all morning while I napped off and on through regular contractions from 10-12ish.

They are now much fewer and further between, more like my normal Braxton Hicks, which really annoys me. I mean, labor shouldn't regress and what I experienced for upwards of 8 hours was definitely not just a normal pregnancy occurrence. But the big "problem" is that Selah hasn't engaged yet. The contractions haven't helped her do that and without her head on my cervix, it's not going to really do much. But I'm unsure what position she is in most of the time and she is still wiggling around in there. Early this morning, I am sure that she was head down, but posterior (her back toward my back), which is not a normal way for a baby to be able to settle down in the pelvis. I had lots of pressure down there last night at dinner, but she was moving around so much that I think she just moved out of a good position before the contractions really picked up (maybe because she was moving around so much?)

Anyway, as I write, I am realizing how much it has all calmed down since last night and that it may not indicate at all when she is going to come. But I still have a gut feeling that it's the beginning of the end. I just need to be patient, glad that it's a weekend and Quinn is here (and so helpful), and willing to trust the Lord and not my own, very limited, understanding of what's going on in there right now.

So really, in the grand scheme of things, we are waiting for her to drop down and engage. Barring something unexpected happening (like water breaking), that should be what takes this all officially out of labor? and right into labor.

Comments

  1. Yay! Hang in there, almost done, Anaka! I enjoy reading your blog posts, even though I am not family. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was ...

...of big changes

Let's start with a cute picture of Abram and Selah in Spain: Adorbs. Now... I posted earlier today while I was waiting to see a rheumatologist in Dubai. I had been referred by the ortho doctor I had seen in Fujairah on multiple occasions over the last few months for my finger and back problems. My sister is a dermatologist and knows that I have had psoriasis for years and she also thought I needed to see a rheumatologist.  Just in case you aren't aware, psoriasis is basically an itchy skin condition. Basically. But there's actually more to it than that (which I wasn't even aware of until very recently.) It is a chronic auto immune problem. My body's immune system (for some undetermined reason) attacks healthy skin cells and it results in itchy patches of skin. Pretty awesome, right? In about 20% of people with skin psoriasis, the immune system will also start attacking the joints, which is why I found myself in a very nice rheumatologist's...

...of the same, but different

When we came back to Austin from the UAE and Quinn started back at his old job and we went right back to the same church and are even a few months away from moving back into our old house, we struggled with feeling like the previous two and half years just didn't happen. Sure, we had another child, but it all felt the same as it had. Except that our hearts were completely different. God had pulled us out of our former comfort zone and opened our hearts and eyes to a people who desperately needed His love. So when we came back, we were like different people in the same life. Even though those two years were less than we had planned and the memory of them gets further and further away, He still used them to shape and transform us in ways we never could have imagined. It was like we had entered some kind of time warp where everything was the same and different all at once. Then, just a few weeks ago, when we discovered that our fourth baby, Joanna Lynn, had Down syndrome, everyth...