Skip to main content

... of a non-sick day

I know this may sound insane without some explanation (which will come, don't worry), but the thing I miss about having a "job" are the sick days. Sound crazy? Don't get me wrong; there are a lot of things that I do NOT miss about having a "job", but sick days were one of the few perks.

The reason why I put "job" in quotes, as you can well imagine, is that being a stay at home mom is, by most definitions, a job. The only thing that doesn't make it a job is that you don't get paid in money. I like to think I get paid in other ways: Kisses, pictures, smiles, milestones, high fives, and nap time, to name a few. But my day consists of a schedule that someone else is holding me to and I have to function accordingly, like most people with a job. Unlike people with a "job", however, I do not get the benefit of sick days.

If I were really, really, really sick... like absolutely-can't-get-out-of-bed sick, Quinn would have to take one of his sick or personal days to stay home. But when I'm just I-don't-feel-like-I-can-do-my-job-without-falling-over sick, I still have to take care of Abram. On his schedule, not mine.

Also, when you add being pregnant on top of being sick (with a cold/flu like something), you also get to add already horrible insomnia and some other unmentionable issues on to the heaping pile of fun. So instead of being able to nap (which I tried and failed at, thank you very much), I am telling you all about it.

But I will conclude by saying that Abram has been very helpful with his schedule today. He's like a little employer who senses that you don't feel well, but really need you there so they can't send you home but they go a little easy on you that day. So he slept until 9 this morning and I put him down at 10:45. He fell asleep at 11:30 and just woke up at 2:45. I really shouldn't be complaining. That's like the best schedule ever. And now I'm looking at what will be the worst part of this non-sick day: preparing lunch and entertaining a very well rested 14 month old for the next 3 hours.

3 hours. That's not so bad... right?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was ...

...of big changes

Let's start with a cute picture of Abram and Selah in Spain: Adorbs. Now... I posted earlier today while I was waiting to see a rheumatologist in Dubai. I had been referred by the ortho doctor I had seen in Fujairah on multiple occasions over the last few months for my finger and back problems. My sister is a dermatologist and knows that I have had psoriasis for years and she also thought I needed to see a rheumatologist.  Just in case you aren't aware, psoriasis is basically an itchy skin condition. Basically. But there's actually more to it than that (which I wasn't even aware of until very recently.) It is a chronic auto immune problem. My body's immune system (for some undetermined reason) attacks healthy skin cells and it results in itchy patches of skin. Pretty awesome, right? In about 20% of people with skin psoriasis, the immune system will also start attacking the joints, which is why I found myself in a very nice rheumatologist's...

...of the same, but different

When we came back to Austin from the UAE and Quinn started back at his old job and we went right back to the same church and are even a few months away from moving back into our old house, we struggled with feeling like the previous two and half years just didn't happen. Sure, we had another child, but it all felt the same as it had. Except that our hearts were completely different. God had pulled us out of our former comfort zone and opened our hearts and eyes to a people who desperately needed His love. So when we came back, we were like different people in the same life. Even though those two years were less than we had planned and the memory of them gets further and further away, He still used them to shape and transform us in ways we never could have imagined. It was like we had entered some kind of time warp where everything was the same and different all at once. Then, just a few weeks ago, when we discovered that our fourth baby, Joanna Lynn, had Down syndrome, everyth...