Skip to main content

... of communicating

My child has now proven that he understands at least some of the things that I say. Here is the physical evidence.



There are great implications to this. For one, I am sure that he understands the words "no" and "don't". There is evidence for this as well in that most of the time I say it, he obeys. We've gotten him to pretty much completely stay away from his former favorite inappropriate toy: our shoes. So now, when I tell him no and he looks at me and does it anyway... 4 or 5 times, I feel that discipline is completely justified. Right now, discipline looks like putting him in his pack n play with no toys for about 5 minutes. I'm not sure how effective this really is, but there is not much else he would respond to at this time in his young little life.

Our biggest struggle right now is staying on his bottom in his high chair and in shopping carts. He almost always gets me to take him out of the shopping cart and carry him because he refuses to sit down and imbeds the seat belt so far into his stomach that I feel there is no safe option other than to take him out. So we're working on that.

Anyway. I am constantly amazed at how much he has changed and how interactive and smart babies get in their first year of life. I mean, the difference between a 3 month old and an 11 month old is like night and day. It's really very cool how God made us to develop so rapidly.

Sorry again for the long hiatus. There's been a lot going on from sickness to getting ready for visitors to getting ready for a vacation. October has basically been checked out of my life already as far as productivity is concerned.

With that being said, I better try and get some stuff done while I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was ...

...of big changes

Let's start with a cute picture of Abram and Selah in Spain: Adorbs. Now... I posted earlier today while I was waiting to see a rheumatologist in Dubai. I had been referred by the ortho doctor I had seen in Fujairah on multiple occasions over the last few months for my finger and back problems. My sister is a dermatologist and knows that I have had psoriasis for years and she also thought I needed to see a rheumatologist.  Just in case you aren't aware, psoriasis is basically an itchy skin condition. Basically. But there's actually more to it than that (which I wasn't even aware of until very recently.) It is a chronic auto immune problem. My body's immune system (for some undetermined reason) attacks healthy skin cells and it results in itchy patches of skin. Pretty awesome, right? In about 20% of people with skin psoriasis, the immune system will also start attacking the joints, which is why I found myself in a very nice rheumatologist's...

...of the same, but different

When we came back to Austin from the UAE and Quinn started back at his old job and we went right back to the same church and are even a few months away from moving back into our old house, we struggled with feeling like the previous two and half years just didn't happen. Sure, we had another child, but it all felt the same as it had. Except that our hearts were completely different. God had pulled us out of our former comfort zone and opened our hearts and eyes to a people who desperately needed His love. So when we came back, we were like different people in the same life. Even though those two years were less than we had planned and the memory of them gets further and further away, He still used them to shape and transform us in ways we never could have imagined. It was like we had entered some kind of time warp where everything was the same and different all at once. Then, just a few weeks ago, when we discovered that our fourth baby, Joanna Lynn, had Down syndrome, everyth...