Skip to main content

... of crying it out

*There are pictures in this post.  They are just all smooshed in at the end*

There is something pretty major happening in our lives right now.  I haven't written about it here yet because I wasn't really sure how to address it.  I wanted to give it the thought that it deserved and make sure that I was presenting it in the most honest way.  Now I find myself with barely enough time to take a shower, much less process through a well thought out blog post.  So here is a quick and candid explanation of our future:
Our family will be moving to the Middle East this fall.  We will be joining some friends who already live over there with their three kids.  Many of you know the details.  Some of you may be hearing this for the first time.  For time reasons, I'm not going to go into them here.  If you want to know more about our plans and intentions, email me!  It may be a quick response, or it may be an offer to put you on our email newsletter list to keep you up to date, but I will get back to you.  I'd love to share with you the calling God has placed on our lives to follow Jesus across the ocean.  anaka.smith(at)gmail(dot)com.

So, basically, we have been very busy in this house for quite some time.  Now it is getting down to the end.  Quinn is quitting his job at the end of July and we will be taking two full months to travel to visit friends and family and raise support and then leaving at the end of October, Lord willing.  God provided some friends of ours to rent our house for an extended period of time, which has been a blessing.  However, they have a baby that's due the day after their official move in date.  So while we are trying to sell all of our earthly possessions (minus whatever we need that can fit into about 6 large suitcases), we are also trying to move as much of their stuff into the house as possible, just in case their baby is early.  In addition to moving, literally, everything out to the garage and pricing it in preparation for our 6th and 7th garage sales the last two weeks of July, I am trying to just keep up with dishes and laundry and basic house stuff.  Oh, and pack up anything we want to store long term at my sister's house.  


On top of all that, my beautifully easy newborn baby girl as turned into an impossible to put to sleep infant.  I am struggling with wanting to ask God why he decided to make it work out this way. And in my head I know that a)He doesn't owe me an answer and b)I better get used to it, because things are going to be "hard" until we go home to Jesus.  But about every 5-7 days this past month, I've had a blood vessel popping cry as I listen to Selah cry and I am reminded about all the things that I need to be doing instead of doing everything I can to put a baby/keep a baby asleep, not the least of which is pay any sort of attention to her big brother, who has taken to saying no to everything and having sporadic whining fits.  


Today was one of those days.  Quinn and I are supposed to be going on a date for our anniversary (which was almost a month ago) tonight while two of our friends man the crazy kid factory that is our house.  However, Selah has had just a bad napping day, which leads to over tiredness, which leads to difficult/late bedtime and I'm not sure I want to hand that over to my friends while I go have a margarita.  The truth is that I really need that margarita.  And I need that date with my husband.  And these friends are such good friends that they would spend all night rocking a baby if they had to so that I could do those things.  So I think we will go no matter what and just pray that it goes well for everyone involved.  


Anyway, I sat here on the couch on the phone with Quinn bawling for about 10 minutes, poor guy.  Selah was crying the hardest she probably every has in her crib since I had to put her down pre-asleep because I was about to loose it. So we were both crying (thankfully Abram was sleeping).  I hung up with Quinn, who was going to get his friend so they could pray about us, and I prayed.  I've prayed a lot recently.  A LOT.  Many different prayers.  And God has answered some of them permanently, some temporarily.  But I just prayed for peace.  


And he gave it to me.  


And at the exact moment that I stopped crying and calmed down, Selah stopped crying and fell asleep.


It seems that we both just needed to cry it out.  


Oh, and at that exact moment Abram woke up laughing and I caught a glimpse of God's sense of humor.

Enough talking.  Let's have some pictures.


Power washing the driveway with Daddy.

Daddy's  driveway "art" 

New favorite toy: cans of ravioli


Meeting Great Grandpa and Grandma Ward for the first time.

Uncle Eric and Fenway


Aunt Liest and Grammy


Reading.

Grandpa, Nana, and Selah

At least she's cute :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of