Skip to main content

...of kid miscellany

No.  Let's just call it what it is: catch up.  I haven't posted in awhile.  I am beginning to realize that unless this blog becomes something kind of "official" in a way, there is no urgent motivation to make the time to do frequent posts.  I would love to have documented Selah's first few years as well as I did with Abram, but one more kid makes things quite a bit harder.  Also only having one computer, which is the one that Quinn uses for work makes it exponentially harder.  We are talking about getting a new one for me soon, as he will be starting to go away to the church office everyday and my only access to a computer at all will be very late and night and on the weekends.  So, maybe that will be like our anniversary present.  We will have been married for five years on the 15th of this month!
It feels like so much longer than that (in a very, very good way).  But we are already starting to make plans for what we want to do to celebrate, since we are notoriously bad at making date plans and then just ending up somewhere uneventful, unfun, or too expensive.  Hopefully whatever we do will be blog worthy and picture heavy :)

So, what have we been up to?  

Selah is still not standing on her own or indicating/pointing.  These things worry me sometimes, but then she will do something else that proves that she is developing and changing and growing and otherwise on track.  She cruises, crawls, and climbs over stuff like nobody's business.  She loves to just go right over whatever is in her path (mostly people).

She's been "talking" a lot more.  Officially she is "saying": Mama, dada, more (but it sounds like "mama") and milk (it also sounds like "mama"). But it's clear what she wants when she says it.  She also starting copy us saying "bubba" today, which is what we are calling Abram for her.  Oh.  And she very clearly and decisively says "no no no" as well, like when she knows she is in trouble or when she doesn't want something.  We'll see her doing something she shouldn't be doing and we say "Selah..." and she immediately says "no no no..." and usually stops what shes doing.  Abram said "yeah" for a long time before ever uttering the word "no".  I think it says a little about what I've seen in their personalities that she is saying "no" before "yes".  So funny.  We've also had to stop her a few times from hitting him too hard on the back or in the face or pulling his hair.  I don't think I've had to tell Abram to be gentle with Selah in her whole life except for a few times when she was pretty new.  Little sister beating up on big brother.  Who'da thought?

Selah is also getting more attached to Quinn recently.  I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that we are now officially completely weaned now, or that she's just now realizing how awesome he is.  He's been able to watch them once or twice recently for longer periods of time (because she's not nursing) and I think it's helped.  When he puts on his book bag and computer bag to head out to the office in the morning, she starts to freak out.
She races over to him and gets him to pick her up and then just kind of snuggles with him until he has to put her down and leave and she whines and little and then we are fine.  When Abram sees her upset about it, he gets clingy and whiny, too, and then Quinn ends up with his kids and bags hung all over him until we peel them off and he sneaks out.

So that's the Bell.

And for the Bug... He is still stuttering some, but I think I can clearly see that it's because his mouth is trying to catch up with his brain (which is what so many of my knowledgable and wonderful friends and family have said is probably the case).  I mean, I feel like his vocabulary is growing like crazy every day.  His grammar and sentence structure is getting so good and I'm just in awe of how I get to see first hand how God develops our brains as humans.  Pretty cool.

He also amazes me because he's so caring and in tune to the needs of other people or what other people are doing and not just on himself all of the time.  Maybe this is a normal thing for a two and a half year old, but I just assumed they were all completely selfish :)  But he's so not.  Many of the questions I hear throughout the day are things like "You wanta banana too, Mommy?" or "Are you feeling better Mommy?" or "Does Selah wanta milk, too, Mommy?" It just makes me grin thinking about what his little face looks like when he asks questions.  His eyebrows raise up really high and his eyes get all big and he kind of tilts his head and makes sure that he's right in front of your face and you are looking right at him.  He doesn't just do it to me. I've seen him to it to other people as well.  It's a really great character trait that God has blessed him with right now and I hope He continues to grow and develop in him.

I've been making a quilt for Selah that will sort of match the one that I made for Abram before he was born.  I want to use them on their beds as they get older.
 
My wonderful friend Sarah shopped for the supplies at Joann and then sent them over to me!  Isn't that amazing?  Cute quilting fabric is really hard to come by over here.  I started working on it the other day and with Abram's help, I have completely finished the top already!
Now I have to make the bias trim, the quilt sandwich, and then actually do the "quilting" part.  So I've got awhile to go.  But It's been so fun to actually make something again.  I don't usually make the time, but when I do I see that it's possible.  Now, most of the housework was severely neglected the last week because of it, so it can't be a regular thing.  But it's fun to take a break every once in awhile.
(Hidden message.  Can you see it?)

I'll stop there.  Of course there are tons of things that the kids are doing and things to share, but neither you nor I want two weeks worth of kidformation in one post.  Hoping to satiate the grandparents with this :) And then count down the days until my mom will be here for almost a month!!!  I think we're at 19 days.  But with how fast the last 6 months have gone (can you believe that it's June?!) 19 days will probably go by faster than I think.

Have a great week, friends who have made it to the end of this kid-heavy post!  You are troopers.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was