Skip to main content

...of three

So we are having another baby.  Whew.  There, I said it.  No creative lead up and stunning reveal.  Just there.  Baby.  Bam.

That's a little what it felt like to find out that a third child would be joining our ranks a bit short of 3.5 years after our first child was born.  We were content with our two.  A boy and a girl.  Who could ask for anything more, right?  Also, Quinn and I each have just one sister, so it seemed natural for us to stop at two. So that's what we were working to do.  I won't go into the details of it all with you in this forum, but we really were attempting to avoid pregnancy. So this wasn't a "woops" moment.  This was a "many things happening coincidentally" moment.  And so when we confirmed that we were, indeed, expecting another baby, there was a bit of shock (of course), but also peace and assurance in knowing that God definitely showed us His hand in it.

We told Abram pretty early on and he has been excited from the get-go.  He prays for "the new baby" all of the time.  Before we arrived at our 12 week appointment today (which ended up being a 13 week appointment because of a couple of cancellations by the hospital), he kept asking if we were going to get to take the new baby home.  We've tried to explain that the baby has to grow inside for awhile and then in six more months, we will hopefully be bringing the baby home.  So he counts through the rest of the months - always stopping in November to remind me that that's when his birthday is - and gets to March and is very excited.  He is such a good big brother to Selah and I know that he will be a great brother to this little Smith as well.  On a side note, we are working on him grabbing whatever he wants out of Selah's hands whenever his little heart desires, but that's really the only mean thing he has ever done to her, praise the Lord.

Selah has no idea, of course, but will get more cognizant of it as the months go on.  She is in crazy development time right now, starting to talk and obey (and directly disobey) and respond to everything we say to her.  She will be almost two if the baby arrives on time (due April 1) and she will grasp it more fully then.  It's actually her that I'm worried about.  She's a pretty strong willed little thing right now and has been known to get excited and hit and is far more aggressive that gentle-man Abram.  But we will make it a constant prayer that she would be an excellent big sister and I know God will answer.

The plan is to deliver over here in the UAE, if everything keeps going normally.  We've been going to a hospital here in Fujairah for appointments where the care is much cheaper (since we pay out of pocket and then file claims for hopeful reimbursement), but also much more rushed, impersonal, and... Arab... than the western hospitals in Dubai.  So the thought is that we will probably switch to a doctor at the American Hospital in Dubai around 20 weeks and then not go as frequently between 20 and 34 or so weeks, since it's much harder to get there and more expensive.  Then, hope that this labor goes something like my other two and we have time for an hour and a half drive to the hospital whenever the time comes.  My close friend who lives here in Fujairah is a doula and we are planning for her to ride with us in the car if I am in active labor and making the drive, just in case something happens... Hope you are ready to deliver a baby in a car, Katie!! :)

So that's that!  We will hopefully be able to find out the gender in three or four weeks, which we will definitely do. I talked to Quinn about whether he wanted this one to be a surprise (crossing my fingers behind my back that he would not) and he emphatically said "no".  We like picking a name and calling the baby by name as we wait for them to join us on the outside.  For us, it makes him or her seem so much more real and present.  So that's what we will do.  I think we are both hoping for a boy, because we have a name we both agree on.  We are in a deadlock over a girl name.  So the discussion has been tabled (but not really) until we know whether we need to start arm wrestling... or guilt tripping :)

Here's a picture of Abram looking at the baby on the "tv" and a fuzzy cell phone picture of our #3.


Sorry for the long hiatus, but there's a bit of an explanation for the reason why!

Comments

  1. Congrats!!!! What a wonderful little blessing another baby will be!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of