Skip to main content

...of throwing in the towel

You know how they say every baby is different?  Well, "they" are right. Even with the same mother, every baby will sleep, eat, play, act, speak, move differently. 

The eating one has been very apparent to us. Abram was a lazy eater. He never really ate a lot, but pretty much got the hang of it and was fairly efficient after a grueling and determined first four weeks on my part. Supplemental nursing systems, frequent weighings, compressions, and supplementation got us there eventually and he nursed fairly well until my supply went down when he was 9 months and I got pregnant with Selah. So we switched him to formula at 10 months and he was happy as a clam. 

Selah was a great eater from day one. Active, efficient, voracious. So much so that I had oversupply and over active let down issues with her and did all kinds of crazy holds and positions to make her comfortable. But she rarely spit up and slept through the night very early. 

Then there's Simon. Simon. Sleepy eater from day one. Horrible latch, awful reflux and gas regardless of my diet. Frequent spitting up, never seeming full and having to supplement anyway after an hour of seemingly active nursing. We've been to osteopaths, lactation consultants, been on medication, tried to boost my supply, had a tongue tie revision, used essential oils, compressions, different nursing holds, everything I could think of to get it to where he could efficiently eat and be full in under and hour with little resulting discomfort in his tummy or throat. And then last night, after I had been on Domperidone for 24 hours to try and get my supply up (since that's what the LC thought the problem was), he was spitting up everything he was eating. He was sleepy and hungry and when he would eat for 5 minutes and I'd burp him, he would spit it all up on me and we'd do it again. For 3 hours. Finally I gave him some formula, which he kept down and he went to sleep. And I peeled me soaking wet, smelly shirt off of me and literally and figurately threw my hands up in the air. 

So all last night and today we are feeding him formula and I am pumping to try and wean as quickly and comfortably as I can before our trip. Last night was already better. He has already slept better this morning, but he did have one massive spit up on Quinn and is now sleeping in the carrier because he wouldn't stay asleep in his bed, but I didn't expect everything to miraculously get better on formula. I've thought that things were solved before and started to get my hopes up and they would get bad again. So it's possible that will happen this time too. The difference is that my body will not be involved in the problem with his body. It is getting to be too much stress and discouragement to have it all reliant on me and things I can't really control about my body and his facial structure (high palate, recessed chin, tongue tie) and stomach and intestines that are making us all pretty miserable most of the time. 

When he's full and awake without a tummy ache, he's an incredibly happy and joyful kid- and sometimes he is happy despite some of those things - but it was really few and far between and I'm just tired. 

It's weird to be weaning my third child at two months after two other children successfully made it a year or close to it. But it's partly because I am spending so much less time with those first two children because of feeding problems with the third one that I'm ready to throw in the breast feeding towel. 

I hope 10 weeks of nursing gave Simon a good start and that this switch will be something we look back on with no regrets. Right now, I don't have completely peace about it, but I have more than I do thinking about continuing this process of trying to figure out how to really get in a healthy breastfeeding rhythm with him for who knows how long. 

I just wanted to document a little of what we've gone through and our decision so I can look back and remember. Because, honestly, even if I had to keep this up for a year I would probably look back in a few years and have a hard time remembering the details. God's grace gives us mothers wonderfully forgetful minds for the hard stuff l as it gets more and more full of the good stuff :)

Here's hoping I'm on the verge of more of the good stuff. 



PS. Just wanted to include this picture of his tongue tie for reference. I honestly feel like his latch got better after we had it released and the painful reflux and gas diminished some, I think. But he has a really high palette as well, so it's a difficult combo for a little nurser. 

Anyway. There's that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was