Skip to main content

...of three (and a half) months

Well, Simon's three month post is coming to you late, as usual. Man. Three kids and overseas/cross country travel really puts a damper on the blog thing. Anyway,  here's an update on the Si Guy.

Weight:
Right before his three month birthday, we went to the doctor and he was 5.6 kg or about 12 lbs 6 oz. On formula, he has jumped up from the 5th percentile for weight at two months to the 25th at three months! Not sure if he'll keep shooting up there or that's where he will plateau. We might take him to see our old, wonderful pediatrician in Austin before we head home for his four month check up.

Sleep:
Since we started formula, our nights have gotten so, so much better. He can go up to 10 hours without eating (he's done that once), but his normal night starts around 8pm. He sleeps until around 3am, eats quickly and goes right back to sleep until around 8am. Sometimes he will go back to sleep after that, but he usually gets up for a little bit and heads back down for a nap not too long after waking up. His naps have been erratic because of all the visiting we've been up to. He seldom sleeps in the car seat, but normally takes his best naps in the Beco carrier (with Quinn) or the wrap (with me).
Today, he miraculously took a two hour morning nap in his own bed! Not sure if we are starting something new or it was just a fluke.

Eating:
So we started formula about a month ago. And it's been so much better for him. I felt some guilt at first at not being about to continue breastfeeding, but we realized he was almost literally starving. Poor guy. He just wasn't good at nursing. We thought the tongue tie revision at nine weeks would change everything, but it didn't. I'm not sure if we were too late or if his really high palette was the problem, but it just wasn't working for any of us. When we finally started formula full time, he started putting on healthy weight and sleeping so much better. Then we had to figure out (or admit) that he had acid reflux. He was horribly unhappy 90% of the time he was awake. Angry, screaming, fussy.
Then he would spit up and have a few happy minutes until the next time he needed to spit up. And this kid spits up a lot.
I took him to a doctor in Colorado, she prescribed Zantac, he started it, and he's been like a different child. Not only is his sleeping better, but he is now happy 90% of the time. It's been a real God-send and answer to prayer.

Teeth:
Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure he is busting through his first tooth as we speak. Teething at three months sounds insane. Especially since we know kids who don't have teeth at one year. But the other kids got their first teeth at four months. Strangely, Abram got his first teeth while we were visiting our friends in the UAE/Oman and Selah got hers in Boise when we were here last. Maybe he knew he needed to keep with tradition and get his first teeth somewhere other than at home. Four months would have been too late :) I think I actually felt it starting to poke through today. He's had a white spot there for almost two weeks, so I wouldn't be surprised. But if it's the case, he's broken a family record!

Development:
He's finally started relaxing his hands and grabbing at stuff. He's super alert and smiley when he's awake and he's talking (cooing) more now. He absolutely loves bath time, but hates being taken out of the bath.

 He's getting into the stage of infancy that Quinn and I admittedly like so much more than the newborn stage. I'm excited for him to get more interactive with his brother and sister and us.

He's quite the handsome buddy and for all of the difficulties we had through the first few months, we wouldn't trade it for all the full nights of sleep in a lifetime.

Here are some pics of a few of the people that Simon has had the privilege of meeting for the first time on this trip:

Great Grandpa Shockley
Great Aunt Kris
 Aunt Hilary
 
Great Aunt Pam
Cousin Lizzy
 
Family friend, Anne.
Great Aunt Cindy
Great Grandma Smith
Bopa and cousin Silas

Happy three months, SiMan! We all love you so much!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of