Skip to main content

... of starting a business


After more than six years of people constantly telling me: "You should sell these!" after I give them handmade gifts, I have finally made the first step toward actively pursuing that goal.

It wasn't until, maybe, two years ago that I found out about Etsy. If you don't know about Etsy (most of you probably do), it is an ebay-like site for all things handcrafted and vintage. Sellers establish their own "shop" and pay small fees to list items that are handmade, vintage, or supplies to make handcrafted items. I have been an Etsy addict for at least a year now, buying everything from sewing and crocheting patterns to vintage toys and clothes. But never selling.

Until now...

I type this all dramatically, but I haven't actually sold anything yet. I've just listed a few things that I've been meaning to for quite some time now. I guess that's why I'm "on the verge" of starting a business and not actually starting a business. I'm pretty scared of what it would be like if I really could have a business making things for money. It sounds... busy... but I guess that's why they call it a "business". Up until this point, I have either gifted or traded everything. I have sold a total of three handmade t-shirts over the years... oh, and a baby blanket and shoes to my mother and her friend, but that's it. Now I am putting myself and my stuff out there for all to see and (hopefully) buy.

My next task is finding my niche. I make a lot of different things, but I don't know what people want the most. And I don't want to continue making crazy amounts of random things. Slowly but surely (and not so slowly that I don't get a good start before the baby comes), I will try and get SewSmith started so I don't waste all of these crazy ideas that God really only knows where they come from.


The first item I listed in my etsy shop.

www.etsy.com/shop/sewsmith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was ...

...of big changes

Let's start with a cute picture of Abram and Selah in Spain: Adorbs. Now... I posted earlier today while I was waiting to see a rheumatologist in Dubai. I had been referred by the ortho doctor I had seen in Fujairah on multiple occasions over the last few months for my finger and back problems. My sister is a dermatologist and knows that I have had psoriasis for years and she also thought I needed to see a rheumatologist.  Just in case you aren't aware, psoriasis is basically an itchy skin condition. Basically. But there's actually more to it than that (which I wasn't even aware of until very recently.) It is a chronic auto immune problem. My body's immune system (for some undetermined reason) attacks healthy skin cells and it results in itchy patches of skin. Pretty awesome, right? In about 20% of people with skin psoriasis, the immune system will also start attacking the joints, which is why I found myself in a very nice rheumatologist's...

...of the same, but different

When we came back to Austin from the UAE and Quinn started back at his old job and we went right back to the same church and are even a few months away from moving back into our old house, we struggled with feeling like the previous two and half years just didn't happen. Sure, we had another child, but it all felt the same as it had. Except that our hearts were completely different. God had pulled us out of our former comfort zone and opened our hearts and eyes to a people who desperately needed His love. So when we came back, we were like different people in the same life. Even though those two years were less than we had planned and the memory of them gets further and further away, He still used them to shape and transform us in ways we never could have imagined. It was like we had entered some kind of time warp where everything was the same and different all at once. Then, just a few weeks ago, when we discovered that our fourth baby, Joanna Lynn, had Down syndrome, everyth...