Skip to main content

... of a new found freedom

Up until this moment in the lives of Anaka and Abram, there has been a two hour leash connecting us to our house. He eats about every three hours and takes about an hour to eat and burp, etc. So if we had to go anywhere, we had about a two hour window. Now that wasn't bothersome if all we needed to do was go to Target (which we do much too often...) or to the driver's license office (which we did twice yesterday...) But, it was a little annoying if we, say, wanted to go to a friend's house and hang out and talk, or have dinner with the community group girls, or go to church. These things tend to take longer than two hours, minus travel time, and kept us from going to (or staying at) those things.

Now, you might be asking: "Well, why don't you just get a nursing cover and nurse him at those places?" "Fair question," I might respond. And then I might answer with some fairly detailed breastfeeding facts that you might not want to read if you are not: a woman, a very good friend, or family... I might suggest stopping right here if you don't want to know some of the "interesting" facts about breastfeeding...

Now...

For those of you who have stayed: It's not all that bad. I will try to be vague. But I wanted to share the greatness that I have recently discovered.

One of the reasons why I don't like to breastfeed anywhere other than my own home is because I can't bring my huge and cumbersome nursing pillow (the "My Brest Friend") with me on those outings. Or, I guess I could, but I am already bringing: a diaper bag, a baby carrier, a baby bjorn, and a baby to everything. I didn't really want to add a large foam donut to the mix. Now, this nursing pillow is absolutely necessary because: I am not well endowed. Yes, it's true. I am one of those lucky(?) mothers who went from a 32A before baby to a 34A after baby. It's great in some ways and very annoying in others. Most mom's can lay their baby on their lap and maybe lean forward just a little and get the goodness right to their baby's sweet mouth with no trouble. Yeah, not so much. My ribs would have to be able to collapse on themselves for my goodness to be able to reach a baby on my lap. Hence the absolute necessity of a nursing pillow.When he was really new, I could hold him up with my arms, but at 10 lbs, it's no longer an option.

This worried me a lot when I thought about trips. Car trips were okay, I could bring the two square foot foam pillow with us. But what about plane trips? Would I put it in a trash bag and check it? Should it be my carry on? Did I need to buy a new one at every new destination?

While worrying my pretty little head about this the other day as we planned our trip to Boise in three weeks, I thought: "Man, it's too bad there aren't inflatable nursing pillows. Oooo! I should invent one!" But, before I started working on the prototype, I thought I would google it just to see if someone else had already been as brilliant as myself. And I discovered the inflatable My Brest Friend (or "Travel My Brest Friend") and bought one. It came today and it's fantastic.

They claim that it takes two minutes to inflate; well, it's more like one. It's the same size as the foam one (so I can switch out the covers to wash them) and it deflates and folds up to about five square inches.

I don't even know why they make the foam ones, honestly. Babies spit up while they are eating. It's inevitable. Hopefully they make it to your shoulder and onto the burp cloth, but they probably won't. Most likely they will spit up on the pillow while they are lying down, or all over their clothes and yours. With the foam one, you can wash the cover, but you can't wash the foam. So ours smells like sour milk. Which is a GREAT smell. With the inflatable one, you can just wipe it off! Love it.

Also, it's cheaper than the foam pillow. Go figure.

So, now I can have a nursing pillow in the diaper bag and if I happen to be at a friend's house for more than an hour, I won't have to run out with a screaming baby. This occurred last night at community group. I bolted early with Abram and listened to him scream, literally scream the entire 15 minute ride home. It was torture. If I had had a nursing pillow, I probably would have just found a room and nursed him there. Oh well.

But now, the future looks bright for Anaka and Abram. The leash is cut! Or at least lengthened, I guess.

Comments

  1. Have you discovered the wonderful world of expressing milk and letting Quinn give him a bottle every once in awhile? This was the only way that I would get more than 2 consecutive hours of sleep when Adelaide was an infant! :) So glad you found the inflatable pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Are you still headed overseas in March? If so, this bad boy will be oh so helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of