Skip to main content

... of Christmas

It's Christmas eve here.  Our first Christmas completely separate from any of our families and our first Christmas in a country where the large majority doesn't celebrate the holiday the way we do.
That did not mean, however, that there weren't massive amounts of people at Carrefour (the Wal-Mart equivalent) tonight or the worst traffic that we have yet to be stuck in (including our after rain street lake driving).  It took us 30 minutes - and I am not exaggerating - to get through the checkout line at Carrefour.  People cutting in line and other people's credit cards getting declined and having to ring up their large purchase twice were the main culprits.  We were trying to get the our church's Christmas eve service that started at 7pm, knowing we would have to leave at 8 to get the kids to bed within at least an hour of their bedtime.  But the traffic was so bad that they started the service at 7:30 to allow people time to get there.  But then we still had to leave at 8 because Selah was melting down and refusing to eat because of the noise, much less sleep.  We had parked really far away, so we had a 15 minute walk back to the car and then the drive (which would normally take a little less than 30 minutes) took us over an hour.  The kids were hungry and grouchy and tired and we were grouchy.  We almost got broadsided, were forced into taking two left turns that we didn't want to take and were overall pretty stressed when we got home.  We fed the kids and put them to bed and then looked at the sink full of dishes and mountains of laundry that needed to be done and decided to put them off.  I don't know until when, but it's Christmas eve.  I guess they won't be getting done tomorrow either.  Although I'll have to do the dishes in order to cook breakfast, which will have a sad lack of protein, because we weren't able to get to a store with a non-Muslim meat room.
Overall, it's not the way we expected to be spending our Christmas eve: stressed out, tired, and a little lonely.  I told Quinn that I just wanted to post a Christmas blog with this picture that we got of our family today and he said to me: "just don't make it too depressing" right before he fell asleep next to me on the couch.

I did get a tangible sense of God's presence in our car on the drive home and then felt so much more peace about the fact that this was apparently the way that this first Christmas was supposed to happen. I hope tomorrow will be more joyful and restoring, but I think the point is to be able to find Christ in it all, regardless of how stressed we feel and not to let unfortunate circumstances rob us of our joy.
So that's the goal for tomorrow as we open our very few gifts (we have 4 boxes from friends and family that were sent for Christmas a few weeks ago, but haven't made it here yet) and try and teach our kids that Christmas isn't about gifts anyway.  I think it will be good.  It's Selah's first Christmas so I want to to be kind of special.

Here's hoping your Christmas is full of the kind of joy, hope, peace, and love that can only from understanding that the greatest gift of all was born as a baby all those years ago in order to bring us back to Him.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of