Skip to main content

... of forever

Many, many things have changed "around here" since I've been gone.  We were in a holding pattern for our move from Sharjah to Fujairah for almost a month.  Things got packed and moved, expecting to be able to move, only to experience delay after delay and obstacle after obstacle.  We finally had to move the day our lease ran out in Sharjah.  So we are ultimately glad that we had it for the little extra time that we did, because we needed it! 
Occupying them while I packed boxes for the move (I think we didn't move for two weeks after this).

Don't judge me.  We took the kids to a friend's house across the street while we were packing.  When I picked them up, there wasn't room for their car seats in the back.  So for a one minute car ride across the street, these two cuties got buckled in the front together and shared a pretzel.  And I prayed the entire time. 

A trip to Ikea for necessities and hot dogs to celebrate the end of Ramadan. Selah sat in a big kid chair for the first time ever.

We learned how much stuff we have actually acquired in the last 9 months.  So many wonderful things have been given to us by friends.  The community of expats out here is really good about passing stuff around to each other when one family has come to the end of their time with furniture, toys, clothes, appliances, etc. Now that we've been blessed with so much, we will be able to do the same for other people.  It's a cool, unspoken system over here that I love.  We moved with our team mate, Randall, who was living with us at the old house and is living with us here as well.  He's got a lot of stuff, we've got a lot of stuff, and we ended up having to take two large truck loads and my poor husband took at least seven trips with a full car over the last month.  But we are finally here! It will be one week tomorrow and, while there are still boxes in the hallway waiting to be taken to other rooms and duffel bags yet to be unpacked in our bed room, we have made some great headway and are well on our way to being settled!  It feels great.  I am so hoping that this house works out for us and we are able to stay for at least a few years.  One thing is for sure, I do NOT want to move again in a year if it can be helped.  We feel so blessed by this house and I will be posting pictures and videos as soon as things find their permanent place and I can find my video camera.

Abram helping with dishes in our "new" (to us) kitchen.  

In other news, Selah is officially walking!  It took her about a month to really get the hang of it.  She still falls quite a lot, but she doesn't even want to crawl any more.  So as soon as she falls, she gets her legs right back under her and stands herself back up (with no hands) and keeps truckin.  She's pretty adorable. Her first four molars have been working their way in over the last few months, slowly but surely.  Each one takes it's time to come through and as soon as it's through, the next one starts coming.  Poor girl had been in a perpetual bad mood for all this time, but I'm sure that it's the teeth.  She hates when we brush her teeth.  I mean, traumatic, scarring her for life hates it.  But we keep doing it and praying for those teeth to finally get through so we can have our sweet, smiley, never cries girl back before too long.  

And Abram started officially potty training today!  I've been waiting, because I knew that potty training also meant big boy bed training and the lay out of our house just wasn't conducive to having a toddler able to get out of his bed whenever he pleased.  So today, he's been wearing big boy underwear all day except during his nap so far and only had one accident while I was putting Selah down for a nap.  He usually looks at me with wide eyes and says: "I'm abouta pee (or poop)!" Then I say: "Hold it!" and we run for the bathroom, I help him with his pants and underwear and he goes!  I think we have awhile until he's self sufficient in the bathroom.  Pants down, onto the big potty is just not possible without us just yet. But he is definitely well aware of when he needs to go potty and very able to communicate it.  So that's big news for us!
Transitioning into big boy underwear.  He felt a little naked without his diaper at first, so we did both for a little while.  

Lots of new things, but also just a lot of the same as it's always been: striving to be the best mom, wife, and homemaker as I can be, failing often, and coming to the Lord so thankful for His grace, patience, mercy and love in my life.  

Well, there's a quickish update to let you know that we are all still alive and doing well here!  Hope to be back soon (but I said that last time...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of