Skip to main content

...of the big .50: Simon Edition



It is nearly 6am on September 12 and I am sitting awake, waiting for Simon to go back to sleep from his early morning feeding. In different circumstances, I would just let him shuffle and talk himself to sleep and head back to that wonderful state myself. However, he has been the reason each of the other kids has been up around 6:30 the last few days (instead of their normal 8 or 8:30) and he has lost about 5 full feedings in the last four days and so I am on high alert for squeal and up chuck. So instead of wasting all this precious time watching who knows what on Netflix (Criminal Minds, House of Cards, Peg+Cat...), I thought I would get an early start on the 6 month update that should be comin atcha in the next few days.

Date: 12 September 2014

Weight: I need to take him in for his shots next week, so I hope to have this stat Sunday or Monday.
*as of 9/16 when I took him into both the ER and the regular doc for a very high three day fever, he weighed 8kg fully clothed with new diaper at 2pm on one scale and 7.6 fully clothed with full diaper at 6:30pm on another scale. Considering the weight of the diaper, that's a discrepancy of about 1.5 pounds. So I'm going with around 16.5 lbs. that's 2 whole pounds more than Abram at 6 months. But it's the 40th percentile and Abram was in the 8th. So I'm happy he's healthy.


Feeling yuck.

Clothing Size: We are in a weird 3-9 month stage. So, essentially, 6 months. But some 3-6 month stuff still fits and some 6-9 month stuff is fitting. But mostly just right on target with 6 months.

Eating: 5 bottles a day, officially. Never more than 6oz (180ml), usually a little or a lot less. That's one very sad thing about formula: when they don't finish a bottle, you are literally throwing money down the drain. With nursing you can always give the exact right amount without wasting anything. BUT, when you dump bottles of pumped milk that are not finished, you are pouring time and effort down the drain and that definitely feels worse in the moment. The dumped formula comes back to haunt you while you are at the cash register buying your weekly $20 tub of the stuff wondering if you could have stretched even one more day out of the last one if you had just given a few smaller bottles. But we can never tell how much he will eat at a feeding, so we just do the standard 180 each time. Ah well. At least he isn't malnourished anymore...
He eats breakfast lunch and dinner, usually around the same time as us. His daily schedule looks something like this of late:
5/6am: bottle, sleep
9:30am: wake, bottle, fruit and cereal (apples, pears, or bananas)
11am: nap
1pm: wake, bottle, veggies (pumpkin, squash, sweet potatoes, peas)
3pm: nap
4:30pm wake, bottle
6pm: veggies 
7:30/8pm: bottle, bed


Sleeping: See eating schedule. 
Love that he is sleeping though the night now, but there's a caveat. He often stirs and needs to be flipped/comforted/prayed over around 11:30 each night. So I basically stay awake until then and make sure we make it through that little moment and then I get to go to bed. If I went to sleep, he would have to get very loud before I would hear him (Quinn is either out with friends or fast asleep at that hour) and he would probably wake up Selah and probably need a bottle to calm down and fall asleep. If I catch him before he gets worked up, we can make it through without much problem. But we will see what the future holds. It seems that every week is different with an infant. You get used to one schedule, only to have him get a tooth and completely throw it all out of whack the next week. 

Teeth: None! I have been convinced he was getting his bottom ones since he was 3 months old, but nothing yet. Abram and Selah both got their bottoms at 4.5 months, so he's behind. But seriously, I think they are working their way out at this very moment ;)

Favorite things:
-Sweet potato
-Tickling
-Being tossed in the air
-Mirrors 
-Peekaboo is a new fave
-Daddy and Abram
-Baby Einstein
-Baths
We are working on sitting up, recently.

Least Favorite Things:
-New people (unfortunately), but he's getting better about this.
-Being on his tummy when he's not sleeping (he always spits a up- and yet he sleeps on his stomach...)
-Currently, peas may have been placed on this list. 
-Being tired (still pretty much the only time he really looses his mind anymore)

Brother/Sisterness: He loves his sibs. His eyes are so full of adoration when he looks at them, it makes my heart melt. I think he and Abram will be close, even though they are a little more than 3 years apart. Selah generally likes him and has been wanting to hold him recently. She gets excited whenever he wakes up from a nap or sleep and gasps and smile and says: "He's awake! Hi Si Guy" almost every time I get him up. So sweet.
Best baby hair.

He really has been such a great baby overall for the last three months and we are so so grateful for this amazing little dude. He is a perfect addition to our family. Quinn and I have a thing about the number 5. Our names (including our last name) all have 5 letters. It's a nice number. And it seems that 5 is a great number of people in our family as well. At least for the moment :) Just kidding... ?

Happy half birthday, ya lil' munch.


*** Horrible mother alert! I never got a five month picture of this kid. Dude. What was I thinking? Can't make that up, ya know? Anyway, here's one through four along with a sincere promise that I won't let that happen again (Simon).***





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of