Skip to main content

... of Abram in pigtails?

You can talk about baby names all day long when you are not pregnant and come up with what you are sure you will name your non-existent child, but when the reality of actually having to come up with a name that you will all have to say millions of times for the rest of your lives sets in, things tend to change a little. While I was still pregnant with Abram, I posted a nice musing blog about what I was sure we were going to name our next child. Needless to say, neither of those names made it to the short list for Habibi.

On our 8 hour car trip this weekend, Quinn and I talked a lot about names. We had pretty much decided that if this one was a boy, his name was going to be Simon. We were unsettled about the middle name. Quinn really wanted Simon Peter, but I mean, come on. It was just too much. So we were still in talks about that one. We had thought that we had decided on the name Selah if it was a girl. In case you don't know, "selah" is a word found throughout the book of Psalms (which are all songs written to God by various people). It is thought to mean either "pause and meditate" or "musical interlude". It's basically a break in the singing. It's a pretty word, but we are unsure about the pronunciation. Most people say "Say-lah" when they read it in the Bible. But a lot of people from the older generation grew up saying "See-lah". I, personally, like the sound of "Seh-lah" as a name. But as I had a name that could be pronounced three different ways (and regularly was), I felt bad giving my daughter the same plight. So we began talking about other options for a girl.

One that we had both always liked was Phoebe. We never talked seriously about it because we had this 5 letter thing that we were trying to stick to. But we are already trying to find a Bible name and trying to find a 5 letter Bible name for a girl is pretty hard. So it was back on the table this weekend. Phoebe means "bright one" in Greek. Her mention in the Bible is as follows: "I commend to you our sister Phoebe, who is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea; that you receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and that you help her in whatever matter she may have need of you; for she herself has also been a helper of many, and of myself as well. " (Romans 16:1-2) Pretty cool that this woman apparently got to deliver Paul's letter to the Roman church and that she was a "helper of many" and seemingly some kind of leader in the early church. Quinn and I feel like we could be parents of a Phoebe. It's quirky and we're quirky! We've also been looking at Abram and imagining him with pigtails to see what we think he looks like. I definitely think he looks more like a Phoebe than a Selah.

All of this musing on girls names this weekend was justified this morning when we found out that we will, indeed, be having a girl!!! We are beyond excited. Of course we would have been happy with another boy, but we kinda felt like we were having a girl from the beginning. I think Abram will be a great big brother to a little girl and perhaps it will teach him to be a little less rough (we work regularly on the concept of "gentle" with him and Obie).

So no name yet. Although we know her middle name with be Christine (it is my given middle name and my mom's name is Christina). So what do you think, blogger friends? Would you know how to pronouce "Selah"? Would you know how to spell Phoebe (if it weren't written here a bunch of times)? I think we will decide soon, because I'm just not the waiting many months kind of person. Also, we called Abram "The baby" until we knew what his name was, and we ended up being able to merge "The baby" and "Abram" into "The Babram" as he was affectionately called throughout my pregnancy. Now how nicely do "Phoebe" and "Habibi" merge together. I mean "Phoebibi"?! It's just too perfect :)

Oh. And here are a few pictures of Abram's first attempt at coloring. There was not much coloring, but there was a lot of excitement about holding the crayons!




"Obie, would you like to color?"

Comments

  1. so excited for you all! she will be a cute little lady! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was