Skip to main content

... of real sign language

It really is just on the verge. Most of his signs are only versions of the real thing. But the important thing is that they are consistent and he understands how to communicate important ideas. The important ideas pretty much all have to do with food, but feeding table food to an almost 1 year old takes up a large portion of his day, so proportionally, we are doing pretty good.

I don't have pictures of all of them, but his master list consists of the basics: "milk", "more", "all done", and "please". We are starting to add more and his pointing has gotten laser accurate in the last few days, so that's really helpful. Honestly, four days ago when he started pointing, he finger would be all off to the side and he's be looking somewhere he wasn't pointing and we weren't really sure what he was pointing at. Now, if Quinn asks, "Where's Mommy?" I get an almost intimidating stick-straight finger and eye contact that makes me want to hold up my hands in surrender. Which is awesome! It's crazy that he understands what we are saying even though he can't talk yet himself. So sign language comes in very handy.

Last night we were eating grapes for a "we just have to wait for Daddy to get home so we can eat" snack. I can only give him two or three quarters of a grape at a time or he will shove them all in his mouth and choke. So we get a lot of practice asking for "more, please".

This is his "more":

It usually looks more like clapping, but he got it this time. It also kind of looks like he was saying "more". He wasn't. I don't know what he was doing. Abra-howls, I guess.

This is "please":
It is pointing at himself. It used to be more of a patting himself of the chest. But it's morphed and not into the proper circular motion. We continue to do it the right way and hope he'll get it eventually.

This is "get that grape in my mouth":

And this is "smile without being blinded by the flash Mommy had to use":

I have also taught him to Eskimo kiss (you know, rubbing noses) and it is arguably one of the cutest, best things he has ever done in his whole life. Having him grinningly start into your eyes inches away from his face is better than all the puppies and rainbows you could imagine. I'd like to get a picture, but it requires a third party, so we'll have to see if Quinn and/or I can remember to get the camera out one night. I ask for at least 10 Eskimo kisses a day and he excitedly complies. It redeems the thousand "no!"s that I say to him over the course of that day.

Speaking of the state of discipline with our 51 week old: I actually woke Quinn and myself up last night at around 1:30am snapping my finger and saying "Abram, no!" Quinn woke up very confused and I remember being alert enough to tell him that Abram was putting something in his mouth in my dream. Guess that about sums up how far into discipline land we are, even before the age of 1! Fun times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of