Skip to main content

... of walking and Christmas photos.

My last post shared with you how Abram had started walking on Christmas Day. Quinn had made an off hand comment that he thought it would be cool if Abram started walking on Christmas and our friend Nancy had told us that she thought that he would be walking by Christmas. It's like Abram heard both of those comments and thought, "Ok, I'll give you what you want, but then I'm done", because he hasn't really walked since. He's taken one or two steps, but nothing like that day. Now we are back at our house, which is full of floors that aren't conducive to sock walking (which is what I think he feels comfortable with right now), so we'll see how long it takes for him to actually start walking.

So we were gone for 11 days. Abram started out roughly, not sleeping on the plane or in the airport and not sleeping well at night or taking good naps. Then we started putting him down earlier at night and he got sick and then we couldn't keep the little Bug awake. He got some kind of stomach bug and had a fever and diarrhea and vomiting the last half of the trip. He was also refusing to eat. But he got some good sleep, so I think that helped him get through it a little faster. Oh, and the prayers of his daddy who always prays in faith that he will be healed when he's sick and he almost always gets exponentially better the next day. I think he's on the mend!

My new year's resolution is to do everything we can to keep Abram well. My list of tactics includes:
1. Prayer
2. More hand washing
3. No nose picking (his cousin "taught" him how to pick his nose and then stick his finger in his mouth while we were in Idaho... Thanks, Silas.)
4. Stricter about not putting things in mouth
5. Regular sanitizing of plastic toys and washing of fabric toys
5. Continue with healthy eating habits which fell by the wayside a bit during the vacation and sickness.

Anyway, let's get to the pictures before you loose interest and/or Abram wakes up from his "morning" nap (at 2pm).
Christmas Day at Grandma Gae and Bopa Scott's house. Yes, he's wearing a vest :)
Short visit with Aunt Jan and Uncle Dave in Sweet, Idaho. Their grandson, Parker was visiting and Hilary, Todd, Alex, Lizzie, and Silas dropped by, too. Quinn was taking the picture.

Fun in McCall. This is one of Abram's new favorite games: face squishing.
On a cold, icy, kind of snowy walk in McCall in our new Beco carrier. We all love it already!
Checking out the view of Payette lake from the back window with Daddy.
Some McCall landscape.
Playing the piano at Great Grandma Smith's with Grandpa Dan and Grandma Barbara.
On a quick trip to the Idaho state capitol on New Years Eve with Grandpa Dan.
It was pretty impressive.


Bowling with Daddy on New Years day with the Smiths.

The Smith great grandkids on New Years Day.
Kirsten (5), Makiah (12 months), Abram (13 months), Landon (22 months), Silas (3)
The Smith grandkids, their spouses and kids. So far we each have one, but two of us are due with our second with in a few weeks of each other :)
Back row: Rhonda, Jared, and Landon Smith, Quinn and Abram Smith (with me in front), Barrett, Kirsten, and Rhonda Smith
Front row: Tayler, Makiah, and Katie Smith, Me, Hilary, Silas, and Todd Heist.

We got other pictures of other gatherings on other people's cameras (Sister Hilary has to send me some :) and will try and share those later.

Overall it was really good to get to see everyone for a pretty lengthy amount of time. There's a lot of people to see in Idaho. Abram was a trooper overall, but I think we are all happy to get home and settle back in to our routine. I have a lot to do to get back to normal - including lots of laundry - but I'm enjoying sitting here feeling my second born dance to the music from the live stream of Passion 2012. She's really diggin' it. I think tomorrow will have to be our big work day.

Sorry for the mishmashyness of this post. It's what happens when there's a lot to catch up on and I'm listening to Francis Chan, Charlie Hall, and Louie Giglio and typing at the same time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of