Skip to main content

... of another false start

While no penalty is being assessed, it is making this mommy a tiny bit annoyed. You may have seen this video of Abram on Christmas, seeming like he was going to start walking.

Well he didn't. "Start" walking. He's taken a few steps here and there, but still not favoring two limbs over four.

Then, last night, we were watching a Baby Einstein "First Moves" that we watch every once in awhile. We got to the walking part and he just started walking toward the TV! I got so excited. He made it all the way there and so I brought him back a few feet and he walked there again! Quinn was about to get home and I really wanted him to see it, but just in case Abram decided to stop walking before he got home, I got this video:



That was 15 steps (for those of you who wanted to know). And it was his third trip to the TV. So you'd think that would mean he would be walking now, right? Wrong. Quinn got home a few minutes later and had to settle for the video as proof that his son has walked minutes before, because Abram was refusing.

I was joking with Quinn last night that maybe our kid will pick one random day every few weeks to walk for the rest of his life. He told me not to say that. I also said something to him about Abram's life as a biped. As I said the word "biped" I had two instant and simultaneous thoughts: 1) I've never used the word biped in my life and 2) I bet Quinn uses the word biped all the time. I knew my second thought was true when he laughed. I said I never use the word "biped" and I don't know why it just came out and he said he uses that word all of the time. As a character artist for video games that have ranged from sci-fi alien stuff to monkeys, I guess he probably would be distinguishing with people often whether something was a bidped or a quadriped.

Now, when I think about Abram walking, I imagine him in a video game deciding whether crawling or walking would be the best mode of transportation to take while chucking toys at orange cats who block his path to the banana at the end of the level (because Abram loves bananas just as much as Donkey Kong does).

Let's see... what other news for this (almost) 14 month old?

Well, he's actually letting me "read" to him recently. Like sit on my lap and listen patiently to the words. But only one book. A five page mini Sesame Street book from a collection of about 10. He always brings me the same one to read.

This is the pile he has to choose from:
This is the one he always brings me:
This is my favorite page:
I thought this would be a good sign of him starting to understand the concept of sharing, but he's still being grabby with me and shaking his head when I ask for him to share things with me. Maybe we have to read it another couple of hundred times before it sinks in.

He also has pink eye. It's pretty sad looking. His eye is all swollen and red and watery and he keeps touching it. I think I may be on the verge of getting it from him as my eye is starting to feel gooey and itchy and looking a bit pinkish. Let's hope not. I am really tired of him being sick. Since October, when he caught something in the day care we had to put him in in Arizona, he's had one thing after another. I can't think of a time that he hasn't been snotty, coughy, limping, feverish, gooey, red, swollen, throwing up, refusing to eat, etc. I'm embarrassed to go to the doctor any more and so I may ride this one out for a bit longer and keep praying that God will heal him, since I know he's able. I keep trying to figure out what He may be teaching me in all of this. I think two things are clear:
1) Don't take good health for granted and seek out all the fellowship and community I can when my baby is finally healthy enough to be around other kids and me around other moms;
2)Rely on God as healer and sustainer before doctors and medicine.

On that note, I think I need some time to Read and pray as I wait for that silly baby to fall asleep. So I'll stop there.

Tomorrow is our big sonogram with the baby girl, so expect a Selah centered post in a few days :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of