Skip to main content

... of an experiment

Selah is coming up on 11 months old.  She is sometimes crawling on her hands and knees, but mostly still army crawling, pulling up only in her crib, starting to eat table foods, babbling a few sounds (ma ma, da da, tha, tha, ya ya, noo, noo, etc), clapping and high fiving, and sometimes waving and signing.  By 11 months old, Abram was cruising around furniture, standing completely unsupported for small amounts of time, saying uh oh, walking in his walker, climbing onto and off of couches.  So I realize they are very different children.  Selah also cries significantly less than Abram did at this age and is over all much more passive.

So when I begin to compare what his schedule was like at this age and what hers is like, I realize I probably shouldn't be. But I would so love to be able to know what my day is going to look like so that I could plan my life.  I've tried to get her on a schedule using the method of waking her up at a certain time every morning, which worked for Abram when he was around a year old.  But she does this thing...

One day, it will be great.  I wake her up at 6am and put her right back down and she falls asleep and wakes up around 9.  Then she takes a two hour nap in the afternoon and maybe a 45 minute nap in the early evening.  Great!  I can handle that.  But then... the next day, I do the exact same thing: wake her up at 6 and put her back down... and she will not go back to sleep.  She doesn't cry, but she just rolls around and talks to herself and pulls herself up in her crib and then can't sit back down.  So I have to go in there, rock her, and lay her down, but she doesn't want to go to sleep, so she crawls to the side and stands back up and the whole thing starts over.  The other day, I left her in there for around 2 hours!  She never went to sleep.  Then I got her up for about an hour and she was crazy tired, so I put her down and the rest of the day consisted of 3 45 minute naps.  Not sure what this is.  But here's where my experiment comes in.

We are going to try an A/B schedule with her the next few days and see how it goes.  Today, I woke her up at 5:30, fed her and she went back to sleep until 9.  Depending on how she sleeps today (so far, so good), tomorrow I'm just going to let her wake up when she wakes up (usually around 7:30) and have a B day, which usually consists of three naps.  But at least I can plan on it.  That's what's important to me.  Then the next day, I'll try the A day again and see how that goes.

I know this is an uber boring post (except maybe for friends with babies like me who might empathize with my ramblings), but it's for posterity.  It's been really helpful to be able to look back at Abram's life and to really see what he was doing and when.  I get great ideas from my past self that I wouldn't remember if I hadn't written them down. So if we ever have another baby (not planning on it!), I will have two totally different children to compare the third totally different child to... :)




Comments

  1. Now that I have a baby I loved reading this post! Everything revolves around those naps. Hope your experiment works well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of