Skip to main content

... of a sick house


We had a hard day yesterday.  Well, I had a hard day.  Today, I am better, praise God.  But it was some fun stuff.  I will intersperse recent cute pictures of the kids to try and off set the  unfortunate images of illness that might enter your brain during this story...

Thursday night started out like any other. Both kids in bed after having (a kind of light and early) dinner. If anything I would have thought that they might wake up early and hungry. I did not forsee Abram waking me up around 2:30 with the sounds of gagging coming loudly from his crib. When I ran to see what was wrong, he was coughing/gagging and I saw that it looked (in the dark) like he had thrown up just a tiny bit. He laid right back down and seemed tired and went right back to sleep. I laid down, praying that it was some weird fluke thing.
I should do a caveat here, explaining that our friends/housemates had just all gotten over a night and day of what was determined to be food poisoning, since four of them who had gone to a world market type thing and ate food and got sick that night and Steve (who had not gone) did not get sick. But they were doing better that day and Abram and I ate lunch with them-celebrating their recovery. Not sure if our sickness was related somehow or not.  I guess it doesn't matter...
You can probably guess why I'm telling you all of that. Because I started thinking about all the things that we might have eaten or done that would have made Abram wake up again at 3:15, with more gagging and, this time, more throwing up. I pulled him out of his bed and was holding him while waiting for Quinn to go get a bowl from the kitchen, when he threw up down my shirt (so lovely, right?) His hair and hands and clothes and sheets were all casualties, so he was taken to the bathroom and cleaned up while I changed his sheets and threw some stuff in the washer to be washed first thing in the morning.
He seemed to feel ok then, telling me his tummy was feeling better. So we put him back to bed in fresh everything. And we laid down. I did not have time to fall asleep - but of course Quinn did - before more gagging rushed me to his bed. This time, I held up the bowl to his mouth, in hopes of saving the minutes old sheets (not realizing in the dark that they had already been compromised). This was a grave error that I could not have foreseen, as the bowl amplified his coughing a gagging like a microphone. We lost the battle of trying to not wake Selah up with all of this at that moment.
Abram's clothes were changed again and his bed stripped and Quinn and I decided he would take him to the living room and he would sleep in the Peapod, which has a wipeable mattress. That was the last I heard of them and he didn't have any problems or nausea after that.
I realized that I was feeling nauseous the second I jumped out of bed to check on him the first time. The down the shirt incident did not help that feeling. Then, I had to feed Selah. She woke up around 3:30. She seemed like she was going to go back to sleep while I was holding her, but the second I laid her down it was apparent that was not going to be the case. She finally fell asleep at 4:30 and thankfully she and Quinn have apparently been spared this illness.

So, yesterday, I was pretty much out of commission and Abram seemed fine all day.  I will sum up my day with a direct quote from Abram while we were grocery shopping this morning:
"Mommy feewing better aday.  Mommy coughing a bunch... coughing a bunch in a garbage can and wying down a wot wesday."  Yep, Abram. Yep.
Praise God it was only a 12 hourish thing.  I hate coughing in a garbage can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was