Skip to main content

...of one whole year!


It's finally here, people!  This munchy face is officially one year old!  Can't believe it.  What a year it has been, too.  Selah has "lived" (meaning stayed for more than one night) in 7 different houses, been on 8 airplanes, had 3 viruses, and no major injuries, praise God!  Well, enough chatting, let's get down to business.

Date: April 21st, 2013
Weight: No idea.  But she feels heavier and bigger!  My growing girl.
Clothing size: 9-12 months.
Feedings per day: 4 nursing, 3 meals, 1 snack.  We aren't doing baby food any more, which means a lot more mess.
We are working on sippy cups with water, juice/water, and milk.  She seems to like the milk the best, actually, but doesn't do too well with it if she's recently nursed.  She's just getting the hang of the tipping and sometimes will accidentally suck from a straw, but really just wants to chew on it.
Naps: By the grace of God, her naps have really taken a turn for the better recently.  She sleeps around 12 hours at night, waking up around 7:30 or 8.  Then she goes back down around 9:30ish and sleeps until around 11:30.  Then back down around 2:15 and wakes up around 4:30 and to bed by 7:30 or so.  It's pretty crazy to think that she's still sleeping about 16 hours a day.  We may be in the midst of or finishing a growth spurt (she's eating a ton), so she may start sleeping less soon... ?
New skills: Pulling up against walls (like not having to grip onto anything).  For real crawling all of the time.  Saying some new sounds/words: today she said "Wowow!" after I said wow to her :) 

Teeth: 8
Favorite things: Being tickled right below her belly button. Her thumb. 
Putting Abram down for a nap: she hangs on the outside of his crib, laughing and dancing while I sing him his sleeping songs.  She loves chicken. Chicken. Chicken. And yogurt. And Mommy: We are working on it, but that girl has been incredibly clingy recently.  

Least favorite thing: Still being laid on her back. Grass:
Apparently

Brother/Sisterness: They are really so sweet to each other and I thank God every day for that. Abram would never hit her or hurt her purposefully ever (knock on wood), although he has been known to take toys from her, or hide ones he doesn't want her to play with.  But whenever she's upset in her high chair in the other room or her car seat where we can't get to her, he always says "It's ok, Selah Bella" over and over to her.  So sweet.  He also often wants her to be put in her crib to play with him.
She loves to follow him around when he's being all crazy and running around and she's started patting his head or whatever she can reach when he's standing near her (sometimes a little too hard, actually). But overall, I feel so blessed by how well they get along right now and am praying that it will continue as they start interacting even more.

A mini birthday celebration
She really liked that cupcake.  We only let her have about a quarter of it.
 I don't know if it was that or the fact that she literally did some major changing over night (she does just seem a lot older today!) but bedtime last night was incredibly epic.  Over 1.5 hours of intense crying and yelling for "Mamama".  We will see if things are different tonight and probably won't have any sweets again for awhile.

She's really kind of an enigma to us at times.  For most of her life, she was so calm and non-reactive, hardly ever crying and sleeping so well (and a lot!)  But recently she's gotten more emotional and more vocal.  There are times when she's pretty happy and excited and times when she gets upset (when she doesn't see me or when she's tired in the evening) but she's still not overly anything - happy or sad.  Her personality is really starting to take shape now and I feel like we are just kind of waiting to see how God has made her.  We really love her so much and it's hard to remember life before she was a part of it.  God has given us two very different kids who are both so amazing in so many ways.  



Daddy and I love you, Sel.  We can't wait to see what plans God has for your life!  Happy birthday, my Sweetness!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of