Skip to main content

... of understanding Abram

Literally and figuratively.

I thought I would share some videos that give a little peek into our pretty awesome little guy's personality and how his mind works.  

However, it's going to require some subtitles.  We understand what he's saying, oh, 90% of the time.  When I don't know what he's saying, I often say, "What are you talking about, Abram?"  He's turned that back on me a few times at perfectly hilarious moments.  "What is Mommy talking about?!"  It's hard to convey what his little voice sounds like now when he asks a question.  He's figured out that we make our voices higher at the end of a question and he's been doing some very exaggerated and adorable question asking the last few days.  

So here's a few Abramoments from the last few days.

You might have read the potty training m&ms post.  He's been better, actually.  I mean, he still uses the potty sporadically.  Maybe for 50% of his #1 trips.  Sometimes we remind him and the thought of m&ms gets that littler bladder going.  And sometimes he really is remembering to tell us when he needs to go with no mention of m&ms (that is until the moment he sees the pee in the potty and then we can't shut him up, except with am m&m).  But up until two days ago, no #2.  Then, during dinner (of all times), he tells me he needs to go potty.  I'm a little annoyed.  "Do you really need to go potty?  Are you sure you didn't just go in your diaper?"  But after a few moments on the potty and a sudden moment of concentration and red face, it became clear that this was it.  The anticipated "5 m&ms" moment.  I wondered it he would actually have the patience to wait it out on the potty and make it happen.  Well he did.  And then came the excitement, not over finally going #2 in the potty, but over the massive amount of chocolately goodness he was about to consume.  This video captured the end of the song and dance that we all got to witness while sitting at the dinner table after said chocolately goodness was in his little belly (and on his face).  
I love Selah's face at the end.  She witnesses craziness like this all the time, so she was unphased.

Then he learned how to navigate on the laptop.  Up until this point, if he wanted to click on something  (usually only the questions in the New City Catechism we do with him every night), we line up the arrow and he clicks.  But now he knows how to do it himself.
I didn't bother with subtitles because whatever said isn't that integral to understanding the video. Anyway, I don't know why I'm so surprised/amazed by this.  I'm sure that other kids his age know how to do it.  But it was an encouragement to know that our kid who still throws balls behind him when he tries to throw might be developing some better hand eye coordination.

And this was some play time we had the other day during Selah's nap.  He really loves to pretend that he's flying on an airplane.  Quinn has been doing it with him recently.  I think they usually fly to Africa to see animals and he has a great time.  There's a specific spot in the living room that's like the "airplane cockpit" area.  So we buckled up and went for a ride from Dubai to Africa the other day.  
We did end up flying to America, but my phone was out of space and so the recording stopped.  I know, it was a little long, so it was probably a good thing.

That's just a little look into Abram's life and mind.  He's a pretty wacky kid sometime.  I love it.  I think he got it from me.  Quinn says he was wacky when he was little too.  Maybe all kids are wacky.  Wacky is a weird word...

Hope you enjoyed the video overload!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of