Skip to main content

... of a facebook status

Instead of posting an incredibly long Facebook status filled with various quotes, pictures, and links or posting so many that I take over my friends' timelines and they just tune me out, I decided to write a blog.  This post is like a big, fat stew: a bunch of random stuff all thrown into one pot that will hopefully end up being tasty :)

Ingredients:
-Funny kid quote
-A few less than lovely iphone photos
-One or two unfortunate injury stories
-An easy craft idea
-A small soap box rant (with optional link)
-One promise for more posts

1. While walking along the Ajman beach today waiting for our take out, Quinn took Abram up to this camel.
 His goal is to ride one with him one day (soon).  Abram began to almost literally shake as he begged for Quinn to take him away from the camel.  When they reached Selah and I back on the sidewalk, Abram told me "The camel is very afraid to Abey" in the most pitifully scared voice I've ever heard come from my child. Looks like the camel ride might be a little farther off than Quinn was hoping.

2. A few days ago, my friend's son was bent down in front of Selah in her walker trying to get her to smile.  I bent over him so she could see me, too, because I thought she was getting a little freaked out.  His head came up suddenly directly into my cheekbone.  I collapsed on the front steps (we were outside) and cried a little (it HURT, man!) I looked up to find that all the kids, including the one whose head had just smashed into my face, were happily playing and didn't even notice me crumpled up with my head in my hands for a few good minutes.  Lets hope nothing serious ever happens where I need them to go get help, because I think I would be on my own... :)  And I have a little swelling and my dark circle is a little worse than usual, which proves that my tears were at least mildly justified.
   Then, yesterday, our house got a little chaotic while I was trying to use my wok for the first time to make chicken fried quinoa. It was momentarily forgotten about while the hot oil began to burn on the bottom.  In a panic and distracted by other stuff, I ended up with my hand basically in the pan and a pretty awesome hot oil burn on my palm.  Everyone heard a not so great word come out of my mouth (which, praise God, doesn't happen really ever) and were rushed outside while my wound was tended to and dinner was completed.  It ended up being very tasty and everyone liked it, but not sure it was good enough to redeem the injury.
Day two.

3. I've been thinking about making bunting for Selah's little room for forever.  I sit in there quietly nursing her for about an hour total everyday and I've had a lot of time to think, but little to no time to actually do anything. I decided to make it happen yesterday and finished it today.
I also made one for Abram.  I told him I was making decoration for Selah's room and he told me he wanted decoration, also (I think "also" is Abram's most used word).
This was taken in the dark. It also needs the bows added to the end and to be hung more loosely.  But you get the idea, right?

It was really easy, especially since I justified not finishing any of the edges and actually just ripping strips of fabric for the line by saying it's "shabby chic" (although Rachel Ashwell might not concur).  
I found amazingly soft felt and lots of other unexpected craft items in the cheap Japanese import store the other day.  So I used it for Selah's name and had some blue felt already for Abram's.

They aren't in the same room right now (well, I guess technically, we are all in the same room), but probably when we move, they will be.  So I wanted to do something that could go over each of their beds and match, but be a little different.  I will be working on a quilt for Selah soon that will compliment the one I made for Abram when I was pregnant with him and that will be their bedding.  I'm excited that I finally completed a craft project.  I have so many in my brain, but never get the time to do them.  So this was a feat!


4. You may have heard we got a convertible car seat for Selah.  We found the same kind that Abram has and I was so happy.  We put it in the car, rear facing, not even thinking about any other options (we kept Abram rear facing until about 16 months).  But then I saw some friends with a just recetly one year old who said they excitedly put her in her new forward facing car seat and she loved it.  It made me think about how much better it would be if Selah were forward facing, since we could see her and talk to her and give her things, etc.  So I did a little research about rear facing vs. forward facing to see if it was really safe to turn her around already.  The stuff I found was incredible!  Without getting into it too much, it is basically exponentially safer to keep a child rear facing for as long as possible.  Some countries even do it up to 4 years (that's too crazy for me).  But, studies have shown that children are 75% more likely to get seriously injured in a frontal collision (which are statistically the most serious accidents) when forward facing.  That's a huge, huge difference!  Anyway, if you have a child under one and you are starting to look at car seats and which way to position them in the car, check out this link and just google it.  There are lots of comparisons and videos that are really eye opening.  Texas law says rear facing until one, at least, and the American Academy of Pediatrics says two, or until the child reaches the rear facing weight limit for the car seat.  I know we will be keeping Selah rear facing for at least a little longer than we kept Abram, especially since we live in a country where the speeds are higher and drivers are crazier.  Ok.  Soap box decent...

And that's that.  I haven't posted in a little while, I know.  So sorry (moms and dads who we rarely get to skype with any more because of dumb daylight savings!)  I'll try to be better.  Selah's first birthday is on Monday!!! So I will definitely be back in the next few days with a big 'ol post about my big 'ol little girl.

Now aren't you glad that wasn't my facebook status??

Comments

  1. She is such a beautiful little girl. I love to read your posts about the kids. Their so sweet. Take care of yourself and I look forward to reading more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of