Skip to main content

...of a wardrobe

I had to go to Once Upon a Child the other day to buy Abram some 12 month shorts and t shirts. He only had 2 pairs of shorts and it's warming up here fast. I think he's a little warm natured anyway, so he's been sweating a lot in the pants and dress shirts that I have been dressing him in.

Once Upon a Child is a resale children's shop (if you don't have one near you). I usually limit myself to the amount I spend on any given piece. So I got 2 pairs of short for $5 each and 4 polo shirts for $2.50 each. Then I got up to the register and they asked me if I wanted to try to "make a basket" for 50% off my purchase. I looked around for a hoop and the girl pointed me to a tiny kids standing hoop on top of their display case behind the counter and she handed me a tennis ball sized ball. I've never been one of those lucky people and definitely not one of those skilled basket making people. So I asked her what happened if I knocked something off the wall. She said it was fine and they would just put it back. I really didn't want to take it seriously, because I knew that I wasn't going to make it, so I didn't want to embarrass myself by actually trying. So I just sort of tossed it from where I was standing (off to the side), and I actually made it! The girl said they only had 1-2 people who made it every day. Crazy lucky. Definitely not talent. I wished I had been buying more than $20 worth of clothes. BUT, it did knock it down to $10. So not a bad deal :)

A few months ago I bought Abram some baby Chuck Taylor Converse shoes from the same store and I couldn't wait until he fit in them. I pulled them out yesterday and they are still a bit big, but he can wear them! So I dressed him (in pants because it was not quite as warm) and he looked so grown up! I tried to get a picture, but it just happened to be at the moment that he decided he really needed to go outside and was quite frustrated with me that I wasn't letting it happen.



We finally did go outside. To the car. Which made him more unhappy. But we went to visit "Aunt Katie" (my friend that just had her baby boy, George). Abram was ok when we got there, though, since it's an awesome house full of kids. Steve and Katie are staying with Katie's parents, so there are two 7 year olds, a 3.5 year old, an almost 2 year old, and a newborn. It was good to let him play with a bunch of kids for awhile. He did really well, too. And when I held Baby George, Abram came over and looked at him, wanted to touch his awesome, fluffy hair, and then started giving him toys! He wasn't incredibly gentle in the giving process, so we had to stop him from actually getting the toy to George, but it was a good sign! And he actually said "baby" twice. Not "Ba Ba", like normal, but "baby". So good.

Anyway, I finished the brother sister shirts. I may do another, smaller one for Selah so that she can wear it when she's brand new. Here's how they turned out:

I don't know if white shirts with brown letters would be better... but the design turned out pretty well, I think.

K. I'm going to take a nap. I'm more tired today than I was yesterday even though I got 11 hours of sleep last night. The other night is either catching up with me, or I slept too much last night. Then I think I'm going to go to the outlet mall and look for a good pair of yoga pants that I might actually be able to wear out, since that's really the only thing that sounds good from my wardrobe these last few days and probably for the next few weeks. High fashion is not on my important list from weeks 34 to... the end. Sleeping, keeping Abram and myself relatively clean and well fed, and preparing for newborn land again are at the top of that list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of