Skip to main content

... of my new life

Quinn has officially returned to work today, so my new life as a stay at home mom of two has begun.  Honestly, Selah has been pretty much the perfect newborn and she hasn't made things too much more difficult.  Yet.  She has a few more fussy moments every day, but they are still pretty few and far between.  I had a bit of spicy stuff last week and she reacted unfortunately (some painful gas before bed) and since I've avoided it, she's has been much more peaceful.

Abram seems to really like her.  I am so glad that he hasn't been jealous or indifferent with her. Whenever he goes to bed or down for a nap, he always wants to give everyone including "baby" a kiss.  He is really sweet with her and constantly wants to share his food and toys with her.  I try not to discourage it so that he will continue wanting to share with her as they get older by telling him things like: "Thanks for wanting to share your milk, Brother!  But she doesn't drink that milk yet."  He keeps trying to share, so that's good. 
Sharing his favorite thing (his magnet letters) with his sleepy sister.
 
For posterity reasons I'll share that Selah took her first bottle tonight!  I wanted to try and do it soon because she is a bit resistant to the pacie and I wanted to make sure I wasn't creating a baby that would refuse anything other than me for milk... I mean, a girl's gotta be able to have a glass of wine every once in awhile, ya know?  But she took it like a champ.  We figured out that based on her weight (an estimated 7 lbs) that she was supposedly taking in about 2 oz per feeding.  She took down a 2 oz bottle in about 7 minutes.  The Medela slow flows are actually a pretty fast flow.  Luckily she is used to gulping because of my overactive letdown and she took it like a champ.  We are definitely going to be doing that more often.  7 minutes of feeding compared to 30 minutes is awesome.  Now that Quinn has finished feeding her, they have ended up like this:
This was a picture from last night.  But the only difference between that moment and right now are their clothes and the presence of a pacie.  So it seemed like a good time to share Quinn's "favorite way to snuggle with her" (his words.)

Also, Selah went to her first restaurant the other night.  In keeping with tradition, we took her to Red Robin.  It was Abram's first restaurant as well.  But I think he was something like six weeks and she was not quite three.  We have definitely gotten back into the swing of things faster with this child then with the first.  It's amazing how you feel like the whole world stops with your first baby and then you realize that it definitely doesn't with subsequent children... mostly due to the presence of that first child :) Anyway, she slept the whole time.
'
And Abram surprised me by being more interested in broccoli and onions than the french fries.
 

Here is a picture of Abram, his favorite letter "B", and the rough draft of Daddy's ABCs of God's promises book.
Abram loves it.

This is Abram pretending to go nigh-night on the couch last night.  He was snuggling with Selah's blanket and saying "nah-nah" over and over.

This is our neighbor, Michaela.  She is 9.  She really likes Abram. And Abram really likes her.  
 Michaela plays outside a lot and when we go on walks, if she is outside her house (3 down from ours), she will join us until we get to the end of the street.  Yesterday, we went out for a walk and we ended up seeing her and her mom, Shanna, and talking with them for awhile.  Quinn let Michaela take pictures with our camera.  She went crazy.  I weeded out a lot of non-usable ones and ended up with some pretty good shots for a 9 year old. 
Self-portrait
Shanna, Michaela, and I

Michaela came over today around 5 as I pulled in from taking the kids on our first errand to the store.  She wanted to know if I wanted her to play with Abram for a little bit.  So sweet.  They played in the backyard for about 10 minutes before he had to go down for his rest.  She pushed him really high on the swing and he loooved it.  She's actually really good at picking up a 23 lb toddler, so she brought him inside for me when I had Selah and he didn't want to come in.  I have a feeling we are going to be seeing more of Michaela in the coming months :)

Well, I just finished pumping (that's my very least favorite part about bottles - there is a lot more cleaning involved than there is with nursing) and I'm going to clean up and get my husband and daughter to the bed room.  Hopefully we'll be able to do it without waking either on them up too much :)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of