Skip to main content

... of irony

If I understand irony correctly.  I could look it up, but I'm not going to.  I recorded a children's book a few years ago (The Loud Silence of Francine Green) about a girl in the 50's who is living in Hollywood during the McCarthy era. It's less heavy than it sounds.  Anyway, a running theme through the book was irony.  She "learned" what irony meant and then applied it to pretty much every situation in her life.  Only, she didn't really understand the concept.  Maybe the author didn't really understand the concept, but she kept calling things "ironic" that were really sarcasm.  It was a little strange and I hope it didn't lead too many young kids astray (you know, in their journey of understanding and implementing irony in their lives).

But I'm not on the verge of sarcasm right now.  I am on the verge of irony.

Quinn's mom was here for six days.  We were sniffly and maybe had a little bit of a cough, but overall we all seemed to be on the up and up and Selah was staying well.  My mom is coming in on Thursday night.  So we have three days without help.  I know that I am going to need to get used to taking care of two kids all on my own eventually (like in two weeks), but I really didn't think I was ready to start today.  But here were are, in the middle of the three days without help and I am having to take care of not just two kids, but two kids and a very sick husband.  Of course.

Ironic... right?  Or maybe just bad luck.

Abram was diagnosed with Bronchitis again yesterday (third time a cold/cough has turned into Bronchitis) and his cough is all wet and sad sounding.  It's making him gag and has caused him to throw up in his crib the other night.

So there's that.

Then, Quinn woke up feeling yucky this morning, which rather quickly turned into full on vomiting and... other stuff.  Poor guy!  He's such a strong presence in our house and always around and helping and so he has to feel really bad to just lay on the couch while I am trying to nurse one baby and fix the other one breakfast (which was the situation this morning).  So I ordered him to the guest room to rest.  Bedding is much easier to wash than couch covers.  Also, Abram just wants to be around his Daddy when he knows he's there, so we had to take him out of Abram's vision to make sure the Bug doesn't get this thing as well.  Quinn can't even keep water down.  So I'm praying that he can get enough in him to make sure this doesn't turn into a dehydration/hospital situation.

So there's that.

Selah seems to be doing well.  She is still yellow and hasn't pooped in about a day (quite a change from once every hour, almost).  Her umbilical cord is also bleeding a bit at the base.  But it's not red around her belly button, so I think it should be fine.  I'm keeping an eye on it, but praying that resolves on it's own.  On a brighter note, we weighed her at Abram's sick visit yesterday and she'd gained about 4 ounces since last Thursday!  So nursing is already much more successful than it was with Abram, praise the Lord.

I am having some postpartum issues that I am also waiting a bit to see if I need to call my doctor and hoping it will resolve on it's own.

When taken all together and listed like that,  it seems like a lot.  It is a lot.  But the Lord has given me a lot of peace and been helping me to just naturally depend on Him more with this newborn than with the last one. I am naturally a worrier and I've definitely worried about things with Selah, but overall I've been so much calmer and trusting than I was with Abram.  With Abram I cried A LOT the first month.  There were nursing issues and he got a cold from us and I was constantly worried about something.  Now, I sit here and list things that would have just had me on the floor bawling a year and half ago, and I'm writing a blog post.  A long blog post... sorry.

Anyway, this morning actually wasn't too bad.  It was hard, for sure.  Selah was wide awake but I could tell she wanted to fall asleep.  Abram wanted to be picked up and wanted to go outside and wanted to play in dirty water puddles and lots of things he just couldn't do.  But she finally fell asleep and he went down for a nap (his nap yesterday was almost 4 hours long!) and Quinn just needs to be left alone to rest with some water to sip.

So I was finally able to eat something and sit down and think about how good God is, even in the midst of trials.  I know that this, too, shall pass.  I want to savor this time while Selah is so itty bitty and easy while I can and not wish it away too quickly.  Because I know how fast it really does go.

No pictures today.  Just the musings of a tired, but content mom in a sick house who is overwhelmed by the faithfulness of the Lord.  Happy Wednesday!

Comments

  1. Anaka! Oh my, I feel for you, lady! One to two rocked our world and a sick parent is no fun for anyone. I know we don't know each other well, but I'm still fresh off the same boat. Please please let me know if I can help in any way :) Really! (I'm starting my training for postpartum doula certification, so this is truly right up my alley!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith, I've been meaning to thank you for this sweet comment! Things seem to have resolved a bit in that respect, but it's awesome to know someone that I can contact if anything comes up. Good luck on your certification!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of