Skip to main content

... of Quillness

 Quinn is not feeling well.  We are on the verge of more Quillness in this house.  Pretty much every time we get sick here, it starts with Quinn or Abram.  Right now he has a sore-ish throat, a 100 degree temperature, and body aches.  This means that he will sleep in the guest room tonight, I will have no help with the baby (pouty face), we will wash our hands a lot, and we will see what tomorrow brings.  I am just now realizing that it might be/probably is what Abram just had.  He had a fever for about four days and refused to eat much (because of a sore throat, maybe?) and then it went away, so the doctor thought it was just a viral infection.  If it was, it is definitely possible that Quinn has it now.  But hopefully his adult immune system can fight it off better than Abram's baby one.

Some day...

Some day we will all be well for longer than a month...

:(

Today, even with Quinn feeling a little yucky, we went to a super cool new park in Round Rock.  It's a "Play for all abilities" park, which essentially means that it's handicap accessible.  Well, not just accessible, because they have special swings and seesaws and merry go rounds for kids in wheelchairs and with disabilities.  They also built this mini town with stores and little streets and crosswalks and stop lights.  It's super cool.  And it's also huge. And new.  And nice (like one million dollars nice - literally).  Unfortunately for Abram, we were only able to spend about 30 minutes there before the raging heat chased us back to the comforts of our air conditioned car.  Selah had to eat and Abram had to have a rest, anyway, but it was crazy hot.  Anyway, we got some pictures of the afternoon.
Driving a fire truck at the fire station.
And a car at the mechanic.
Doing an eye test at the medical center (with a random kid).
Crossing the "street" by himself.

Playing the drums and the bells on the rock band stage.

As you can see, he is wearing a very special shirt.  You may have gotten to see the video show casing his love for the letter "B". I saw a t shirt at American Apparel the other day that just had a big T and a little t on it and I thought: "Abram needs a B shirt!"  I actually found the ones on the American Apparel website and they were $8.  Not bad, but I didn't really like the color of the B shirt (white with periwinkle letters.  So I made my own last night using a $3 Hobby Lobby shirt and fabric paint I already had.  I did a freezer paper stencil and since the letters were so big, it was super easy and took no time at all.  I did three layers of paint in perpendicular directions and it came out looking really good.  Almost exactly like screen printing!  Way easy.  I think I'm going to make him and A one too, since his name starts with A and that makes more sense than him wearing a B one.  But he loves it and says "B!" even more when he's wearing it - which means that's pretty much all we hear all day long.  We tried to get a picture this morning, but he was in a bit of a mood and this is all we got: 

Selah had her hardest night yet last night. We don't know if it was because of the lasagna we ate for lunch (tomatoes are known gassy baby culprits) or the eggs we had for breakfast or my overactive let down and over supply problem.  When Abram was a month old I was having to squeeze out 2 ounces when I pumped just to get enough for the next bottle.  Last night I pumped and I got 5 ounces in 7 minutes.  I'm not doing anything to increase my supply (not even lactation cookies!!) and I'm not pumping except at night after we give her a bottle and I do it for as short as I can.  So, we have to figure out what causes her to have such bad and painful gas.  She doesn't have it all of the time or every night.  She's had a bad night, maybe, three times so far, so I am pretty sure it's food related.  Plus (TMI), I was a little gassy myself last night, so that supports that theory.  Here is a video of some of the awesome faces she was making early last night.  If we only knew what those faces were telling us about what was to come.


All of this was really to say that I really hope tonight is better.  I am going to give Selah her bottle tonight and Quinn is settling down to fall asleep on the couch so I can enlist his help if she has a rough few hours like last night.  She's been sleeping for a few hours and I hope it doesn't take her long to fall asleep for the night.  Once she goes to sleep after the 9pm ish feeding she usually makes it until about 2am, which is great.  But we are all tired and need some good sleep tonight.

...One hour later...

Well, the bottle was a fiasco, but she burped quite a bit and went right back to sleep.  Abram was crying about something hurting him about an hour after we put him down, but I couldn't figure out what it was, as he just kept saying "da da!" and whining but not pointing at anything.  We gave him a little bit of medicine (more for the placebo effect) and he finally fell asleep.  Quinn is passed out on the couch, so I have to get him to move to the guest room, but praise God, everyone but me is asleep - hopefully for the night - and I am on my way there right...

Now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

... of the tipping point

 I haven't blogged in so very long, I can't remember when and I'm not going to stop this thought train to go and check. Suffice it to say, it's been awhile. But I showed up here to share (and document) a major event in the life of our family.  Before Moses came home, I would see adoptive families posting about their kiddos' "Tipping Point Days". I recently heard it called something else as well, but I'm too tired to think of it right now. Basically, it is the day when your adopted child has been with you for as long as they were not  with you. For kids that were adopted at 1 or 2 or 3, that seems to come quickly and maybe feels eventful, but not monumental. Well, when we got custody of Moses he was about 4 years and 9 months old. I remember coming back to America and seeing someone in my adoption group post about their 2 or 3 year old's Tipping Point Day and thinking I should figure out when Moses's would be. So I did. I sat down and figured ou

... of a patent

... or maybe, just maybe , I'm jumping the gun :) A good friend told me the other day that she and her husband have been leaving church after the worship because she can't sit for an extended time in the folding chairs. Our church did a great thing and bought inexpensive folding chairs for our sanctuary in order to 1)save money and 2)be able to use the empty room for community type events in the neighborhood during the week. This is awesome. I support their decision and so does my friend who is leaving after the worship (and watching the previous week's sermon from home). But she is pregnant. She already had back problems and now (of course!) they are worse. My back is just starting to bother me and I know that there are many pregnant women with back problems and normal people with back problems who whimper inside a little every time they enter a room and see folding chairs. Until now, I had just sort of reconciled myself to the fact that sitting in a folding chair was

...of my ER defense

Many of you may have been reading the updates about Abram's "condition" on Facebook. As I contemplated putting up the information about what was going on for all the world to see, I have to confess that I was thinking that everyone was going to think I was crazy. "Her kid can't stand up for a day and all of a sudden she's going to the emergency room right at bedtime?" Well, I'm here to justify myself (although I realize there really isn't a need for that, based on the amount of wonderful support I got from people) and tell you a little bit of what I learned - for those of you who might be interested in some medical knowledge you may not have known. Just so you know, I did not take pictures of this event, so there are none here to see. Pictorial documentation of your child's first ER visit isn't something you think of until after you leave with the assurance that everything is probably going to be ok. Looking back, there was a lot of